ABB Drive/RL G308

jwfrisch

Need to display some drive data (ABB ACS550)on a remote Red Lion G308 panel via modbus RTU. Anyone have any experience doing this?

I just did one last week using the ABB TCP Modbus module to a G306A. Was a cake walk - just plain worked with no hassles. Have done dozens of RS-485 Modbus RTU to the G30X: is very straightforward.

Is there a specific drive parameter that needs to be set? Which is the slave/which is the master? Wasn't sure which protocol to use in the Red Lion.

Red Lion has to be the master.
ABB is the slave device.
You need to read the manual and decide which fieldbus to use.
I'm working on an ACS355 and it had a built-in port (fieldbus) that supports Modbus RTU, RS232.
There's a nice section in the manual that describes which parameters are used to set up and activate your COMMS.

the 355 has 2 wires as well, different protocol.
You use modbus RTU, RS485.
ABB is the slave (must assign it an ID different than the master).
The Red Lion is the Master.
Usually Master ID = 0
Slave ID = 1
But you can re-assign if need be.

on the ACS355 Parameter 9802= COMM PORT SEL sets up your communications
Parameter 5302 = EFB STATION ID = Define your slave Station ID
Parameter 5303 EFB BAUD RATE = Define Baud rate
Parameter 5304 = EFB PARITY = Define parity
etc, etc
If you read the 550 manual, under Fieldbus Control you'll find all the parameters needed to make this work.

Thanks.

My customer requested this as the system was going out the door. I tried a couple times to make it work with limited time to no avial. I will have a coulple days worth of shakedown to get it going.

Much appreciated info.

If you use the ABB_LIM or ABB_FULL profiles for Modbus you get a CONTROL WORD as well as a STATUS_WORD.
There's also a DCU Profile that supports 2 STATUS_WORDs, 16 bits each if the standard profiles aren't enough for you.
You need to look into the STATUS_WORD bits to find out what you need to find out such as drive tripped, Alarm, at speed, etc.
You also get 8 words worth of ACTUAL_VALUES.
These, you'll have to map from your drive to the Modbus word in order to display any valid info.
Map frequency, torque, amperage, etc to the aCTUAL_VALUES and you have them at your Red Lion at anytime.