ml1500 - net eni

robw53

hi,

i have been playing about trying to setup my net-eni to communicate with a ml1500, i have the eni IP address configured and it is showing eni and correct IP on rslinx but i am unsure if i have to change the comms in rs500 from DF1 to eth-ip or if it stays as DF1.

help anyone!!

rob

Last edited:
The comms that leaves your laptop is what you setup in your case I believe that to be ethernet.

Open a web browser ( IE ) and type in the ethernet address you set up and you should get a page with the diagnostics of the NetENI

If you are seeing it in RSLinx without a red X or a yellow triangle, I suspect you have it setup ok you should also be able to ping it and get a reply.

The NetENI tends to be transparent when you go online with RSLogix 500 to the ML1500.

If none of this helped then ask more questions

i will try this when i get back to work tonight, what driver should i have visable when i am on logix 500 in the top left side of the page, the DF1 or ethernet

rob

If you are going to the PLC via the NetENI then your laptop will see it as Ethernet,
Your NetENI sends it to the PLC as DF1.

It appears as a seamless operation that is taken care of by the NetENI

What cable do you have to go from the PLC to the NetENI.

i have ethernet cable into the net eni and the net eni into channel 0 mini din using 1761-cblam00 and then my laptop also plugged into ch1 using CP3 cable. i change the driver in the comms setup in logix 500 to eth-ip and when i try to download it says no response from processor on that node.

on channel 1 i have a HMI connected by changing the settings to ethernet will this change both ports or just the one?

rob

Once the NET-ENI is properly set up then, using RSLinx through Ethernet, the ML1500 should show up on the Ethernet link. The NET-ENI won't even show. Try using 'Ethernet Devices' with the NET-ENI's IP entered.

Once the NET-ENI is properly set up then, using RSLinx through Ethernet, the ML1500 should show up on the Ethernet link. The NET-ENI won't even show. Try using 'Ethernet Devices' with the NET-ENI's IP entered.

Yes, the main reason to use the NET-ENI is to allow an ethernet connection to the connected PLC/SLC/Micro.

You should be able to use the Ethernet Devices Driver (you gotta fill in the IP address of the NET-ENI), or the Ethernet I/P driver (will browse the whole subnet).

One caveat, just in case, if the serial baud rate of the PLC is 38.4k, don't use autobaud on the NET-ENI. It may or may not work (I have two that don't). If you set the NET-ENI for 38.4k, there is no problem, but for some reason, the NET-ENI autobaud has trouble with properly detecting 38.4K on some PLCs. I never have any trouble with 19.2k and autobaud on the NET-ENI.

i tried both eth-ip and ethernet (manually entering the IP) and both did nothing for me, so i would be correct in assuming that i have no alterations to make to the ML1500 when using a net-eni??

i know this eni has been setup because it has the IP address label on the front, and it responds to that, but i will try on monday re-configuring it and see if i have any look then

cheers for the advice, i will let you know how i get on

Rob

Have you uploaded the file from the NET-ENI and what is the serial comms set at for both the ENI and the 1500?
And you can ping the ENI correct?

... so i would be correct in assuming that i have no alterations to make to the ML1500 when using a net-eni??

That's correct. As long as the port that connects the ML1500 to the NET-ENI module is still configured for df1 (system) it should be fine. You will need to configure the NET-ENI module to match it though.

Have you used the NET-ENI configuration tool to check its settings?

yes it is still set as DF1, i havent used the config software YET! i will have a look at it on monday when i am back and set it up, and set it for 19.2k

rob

bob-

no i havent yet i will try that and check the settings, where can i view the baud rate set for the ML1500 is it on the comms config page were you setup ch0 and ch1 for DF1 or Modbus RTU etc i don't have the software in front of me and i am 99% sure i know were it is but i would rather ask now to be sure i dont struggle to find it on monday.

i didn't try to ping it as when i used both ethernet drivers it came up straight away with no yellow "?" or red "x" and displayed all the info, IP address and series of the ENI

Rob

Last edited:
robw53 said:
...where can i view the baud rate set for the ML1500 is it on the comms config page were you setup ch0

Yes. Channel config in RSLogix500.

robw53 said:
i didn't try to ping it as when i used both ethernet drivers it came up straight away with no yellow "?" or red "x" and displayed all the info, IP address and series of the ENI

Rob

The ENI config utility is pretty straightforward. IIRC, there are several tabs, but the main one has buttons to upload the settings, save the settings to NVRAM, and one other one. There is also a BOOTP tick box, you'll want turned off once the IP is set correctly.

You WILL need to use it, even though apparently the ethernet side of the ENI is already set up, but RSLinx can't browse through it, so I would speculate that there's a mismatch on between the ENI serial settings and the micrologix.

Last edited: