Exporting tags RSLogix 500 for use in citectSCADA

marshy90

Hi, I haven't got much experience using PLC or RS Logix but gotta learn some way! I am currently having some trouble exporting database information from RSLogix 500. I would like to use the tag names and addresss for a RSLogix file in citectSCADA. I have come to the conclusion that this is not possilble as RSLogix does not use a tag system. Can someone confirm this or correct me?

Cheers

:site:

You are correct in your assumption - the data in the Logix500 family consists of data-tables, or "files" .....

B3 - Binary
T4 - Timer
C5 - Counter
R6 - Control
N7 - Integer
F8 - Floating Point
etc.

A typical data address might be N7:35

There is the ability to "attach" symbolic addresses (i.e. tag-names) to these addresses, but the symbol names exist only in the programming software, not in the PLC, so this will be useless for your SCADA.

However, the information you can export from the Symbol Table in RSLogix500 can be used to create the tags in your SCADA, where the SCADA tags can be "converted" to the physical PLC addresses. Someone more familiar with citectSCADA will be able to explain further.

Last edited:
tags from RSLogix500 to Citect

Since RSLogix doesn't use Tag Names, about the best you can do is export the Address/Description database, and then import that into Citect. You will have to come up with your own Tag Names in Citect.
RSLogix500 export: (with the source project open)
Tools, Database, ASCII Export, CSV tab. Check only the 'Addr/Symbol Desc.' box, and give it a destination file name with .CSV as the extension. Click OK. This will export all of the defined addresses, no matter if it is a Binary, Timer, etc. Data Type.

Citect Import:
You should already have the Citect Add-In for Excel installed, so you can edit any of the Citect .dbf files via Excel. If you haven't, contact Citect Tech Support.
Open the .CSV file you created previously with Excel. Adjust the import options as necessary to create a file with two columns, one with the PLC Addresses, one with the address Descriptions. Keep this worksheet open.
Use the Citect Add-In to open the Variable Tags database. Then copy and paste the addresses from the .CSV file into the 'ADDR' column and the descriptions from the .CSV file into the 'COMMENT' column. You will then create your own Tag Names for the 'NAME' column and assign each tag the Data Type and I/O Device in the 'TYPE' and 'UNIT' columns. Use the Save and ReIndex button in the Add-In to save this file. Before compiling, set the variable OID=1 in the citect.ini file so Citect will assign internal tag numbers to the new tags you added. Then compile. Hope this helps..!

Since RSLogix doesn't use Tag Names, about the best you can do is export the Address/Description database, and then import that into Citect. You will have to come up with your own Tag Names in Citect.
RSLogix500 export: (with the source project open)
Tools, Database, ASCII Export, CSV tab. Check only the 'Addr/Symbol Desc.' box, and give it a destination file name with .CSV as the extension. Click OK. This will export all of the defined addresses, no matter if it is a Binary, Timer, etc. Data Type.

Citect Import:
You should already have the Citect Add-In for Excel installed, so you can edit any of the Citect .dbf files via Excel. If you haven't, contact Citect Tech Support.
Open the .CSV file you created previously with Excel. Adjust the import options as necessary to create a file with two columns, one with the PLC Addresses, one with the address Descriptions. Keep this worksheet open.
Use the Citect Add-In to open the Variable Tags database. Then copy and paste the addresses from the .CSV file into the 'ADDR' column and the descriptions from the .CSV file into the 'COMMENT' column. You will then create your own Tag Names for the 'NAME' column and assign each tag the Data Type and I/O Device in the 'TYPE' and 'UNIT' columns. Use the Save and ReIndex button in the Add-In to save this file. Before compiling, set the variable OID=1 in the citect.ini file so Citect will assign internal tag numbers to the new tags you added. Then compile. Hope this helps..!

If you export the SYMBOLS as well - you can if you wish manipulate these to be your citect tag-names - might save a bit of typing.

thanks, this is a lot of help!
I was hoping there was a away around creating names for the tags considering there is around 1000 different addresses but o well :sick:
ill have a go and let you know all is good.
cheers