PCI Probibus Card Selection

DesertDog

I have been asked to find a PCI Profibus card that is cheaper than that offered by the PLC manufacturer. As I will be left to deal with the consequences I am hoping for sugestions for such an animal to allow plug and play communication between ProTool-Pro and Siemens S7-300.

I have found SST but I don't know about ease of use, reliability, or price.

Thanks

I prefer SST.

Second would be Hilsher. What I like about the SST card is that it can be used in a dianostic mode that has proved to be invaluable for debugging other masters. I even used it to find bugs on other master cards. I think the SST is just a little faster too.

You should check to make sure the software that runs on the PC supports the Profibus DP master of your choice.

If you have to communicate between Protool Pro and S7-300, then you have several options:

The CP5611 is OK. Price approx 500 $/€

There is also a USB to MPI/Profibus converter:
6ES7 972-0CB20-0XA0.
Price is approx 300 $/€.

If you can do with MPI between PC and S7 (perfectly acceptable actually), then MHJ has a neat ethernet cable with an MPI converter in the MPI connector. Price approx 400 $/€
find MHJ-NETLink here

Cheaper?

The CP5611 card is much cheaper than a SST card. I think the SST has its strong points, but if your application the CP5611 is probably best for the money.

I know from your previous posts that you are using Siemens and I thought you wanted an alternative brand. I didn't know the CP5611 cost only $570. I don't think you can beat the cp5611 price.

I am finding the Siemens card to actually be the best deal I can find. I am being asked by the powers that be to find a better price but thanks to your help I think I can show we are doing about the best we can.

You could go to www.Profibus.com and get card numbers and prices. You might want to remine the "Big Wheels" that is it alway easier to incorporate a Siemens PLC to Siemens Software, via a SIEMENS card, rather than a 3rd party card. They want you to shop price. I would want them to sit beside me, while I am wasting my time, trying to figure out a "cheaper" solution. How much is YOUR time worth? Think CP5611 !!

You have to be a little careful with interface cards. Woodhead offers two Profibus DP scanner cards, one by Applicom and the other by SST (which someone else already mentioned...). The Applicom card is designed for HMI use, while the 5136-PFB-PCI is suitable for PC control applications.

Additionally, the SST card comes with all the software you could need (network management, etc...). Siemens and other European cards follow the typical marketing arrangement of the continent and provide everything a la carte--you get the card and then have to buy appropriate software modules, licenses, software etc...

I am not saying this is wrong, just that you should take into account what you are getting for the price.

I used Hilscher years ago, so I can't comment on any current offerings, but the SST card is bulletproof and declined in price since the beginning of the year.

I ABSOLUTELY agree with user RRobbins. Do you want to connect to a Siemens S7? Then you'd better buy a Siemens CP5611. You can buy whatever 3rd party card you want, but chances are that you come back here and complain for connection errors.Why not be sure of what you doing by using devices of the same vendor??? You may pay a visit to my Country for the Olympic Games and buy a CP5611 for 370€(I'm NOT kidding about the price!!)

Just to update: We are using the Siemens card. Any reasonable 3rd party chouces were more expensive so for a change the economy above anything else mind set here has worked to my advantage.

Thank you all