Automation Engineer/Technologist Search

fredbear

Hey does anyone know an appropriate way to attract and hire competent automation engineers and/or technologists? My firm is trying despertately to find and retain competent, personable folk to work based out of the Vancouver, BC area. Employment agencies and monster/workopolis have produced less than ideal candidates.

High Salary, and a good screening process would probably work... Maybe start out with a probation period, with scheduled increases.

My main concern is finding appropriate applicants. All the screening in the workd is no good if there's nothing to screen.

I believe that you attract better candidates by offering to pay better. So when we post a job, we post minimum education requirements, minimum experience requirements and are VERY specific about the skillsets required. And we post a salary range. Seems to have worked so far.

We simply use Craigslist to do the posts. For some reason, the nationwide services like Monster have not produced the candidates like the local Craigslist posts.
Our turnover has been low, low, low so I can't give you a statistically significant sample though.

So my poorly veiled attempt at generating response from this board from anyone who is interested in a challenging fast-paced automation position out of the Vancouver BC area is apparently not working. Is there noone here who might be interested? I will be trying Craigslist also. Education requirements are less important in this case than attitude and a willingness to learn and work with our team.

whats the salary range and are you paying relocation? although probably a little too cold for me way up there!

So my poorly veiled attempt at generating response from this board from anyone who is interested in a challenging fast-paced automation position out of the Vancouver BC area is apparently not working. Is there noone here who might be interested? I will be trying Craigslist also. Education requirements are less important in this case than attitude and a willingness to learn and work with our team.
If I wasn't so far away, I'd apply!

Which one is harder, finding candidates or keeping them?
When you do find candidate and hire him, how often do you hit the spot?

When you say working out of the Vancouver area what does that mean? Is this a field service Job?

When you say working out of the Vancouver area what does that mean? Is this a field service Job?
Most of the work would be done from the office. We do most of our development work (PLC, RTU, HMI, SCADA) from Vancouver. You would be expected to travel to the field for start-ups and commissioning. Approximately 10 weeks/yr total travel time.

Which one is harder, finding candidates or keeping them?
When you do find candidate and hire him, how often do you hit the spot?
We have hired 8 people in the past 2 years. Most of them came via the word of mouth route. 2 did not work out (demonstrated ability/performance did not match with stated ability). We are able to tolerate mistakes, and less than optimal productivity and speed, for a while. It is that weird arrogance that is not backed up with actual ability that has been the killer. We cannot tolerate dishonesty and argumentative personality types as the position does require interaction with clients.