DeviceNet Flow Meter

junkerjorg

I have been tasked with setting up a MicroMotion flow meter over DeviceNet and I would like to map the data as real I/O. Is that possible in a SLC 5/04? Unfortunately I don't do much with DeviceNet, hence reaching out to the experts. :)

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give.

With the SLC, you'll need a 1747-SDN and RSNetworx for Devicenet. You'll also need an eds file for your MicroMotion flow meter. You will also need to plan for the devicenet cabling.

Does the SLC already have a devicenet network?

No it does not have an existing DeviceNet network. I have added the SDN, added the .eds file to Networx and configured the meter and my plan was to just use a COP instruction to read in the Discrete I/O from the scanner I.E. #I:4.3 to #F8:87. The DeviceNet scanner is in slot 4 and if I understand correctly bit 3 is the totalized value from the meter. I think I'm starting to understand this. I'm probably better off using M files because of the limitation of discrete I/O. Correct?

Sounds like the hard part is done.

I would have to review the flowmeter manuals, and possibly look at how RSNetworx uses the eds file to help you further.

It might be possible to change the way the data gets set up in RSNetworx so that all the data you need is handled in the discrete transfer, and then you can just copy the right stuff to where ever you want (provided the format of the data matches the destination data type).

Can you post some links to the aforementioned device you're using?

Last edited:
If planning to add more flow meters then using the M file is probably a better option. Just remember to do COP to and from the M files. Every time you reference the M file directly it adds to the scan time. I just had to clean up a program where the M files were directly accessed about 100 times. The total program scan time was about 96 ms. Does seem like a lot but after my cleanup, the scan time is down to 14 ms.

Just COP M1 to N10, and M0 to N11, or whatever N files you decide to make them. This way you are only accessing the M files twice, you will read your data from the N files.

I have never used a MicroMotion on devicenet, but I doubt that it will send back a signal that can be copied directly to a floating point. More than likely it will be raw data that will need to be scaled for min/max flows