Recommend me a cheap plc

Hi,

Can someone recommend me a cheap plc to meet the following criteria:

1. Serial interface to communicate with another device.
2. Ethernet for hmi comms
3. Require 32 outputs and 16 inputs to start with. Should be expandable up to 100 DO and 50 DI

Open to cheap hmi/ scada solutions too.

I ll be buying at least 40 to begin with.

Thanks

GEIP VersaMax Micro 64 or 40 point base unit, optional Ethernet on port 2, plus an expansion module(s). Go to www.support.com and search for "micro Ethernet" or DO954.

Last edited:
Look into Horner OCS units.
2 ports for RS232, 485 user configured come as standard.
Other manufacturers comms protocols are free and included with the free software "cScape".
You can add an Ethernet base with 8 modules and daisy chaini as needed.
Up to 254 or so bases but thats limited by resources of the OCS, you'll never get there.
The XL6e and XL10e come with a color HMI, TFT.
They also sell "Envision" which is their scada software for remotely viewing and altering PLC/HMI.
They also sell a KEP server EX lite version.

Look here.... Free programming software also. I have used plenty of these and never have had an issue

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers

Do you have any of the Productivity 3000 PACs? I have been curious about them since their release, but have only read one article about their implementation. They appear to be very near Controllogix performance for a fraction of the cost. I would not be able to consider them until they come out with a Devicenet card though. Sorry for the hijack...
Paul

Do you have any of the Productivity 3000 PACs? I have been curious about them since their release, but have only read one article about their implementation. They appear to be very near Controllogix performance for a fraction of the cost. I would not be able to consider them until they come out with a Devicenet card though. Sorry for the hijack...
Paul

Yes very similar to the controllogix but without all the $$. Whats more important is the support. They are EXTREMEMLY HELPFUL and WILL WORK WITH YOU FROM START TO FINISH at no charge! AB on the other hand is dissapointingly all about the dollars.

When I'm trying to keep costs down, I use the Allen Bradley Micrologix 1100 or 1400 PLC's.

The Micrologix 1100 has RS232, RS485, Ethernet, 20 built-in IO, plus up to four cards at 32 channels each. The software is free.

The Micrologix 1400 has two RS232, RS485, Ethernet, 40 built-in IO, plus up to seven cards. The software is $100 - $500.

For a low-cost HMI, I use the Red Lion G303. In the high $400 price range. It has Ethernet, RS485, two RS232, free software and is Nema 4X rated. I've built systems consisting of a dozen ML 1100's with 8 Red Lion G303, 306 HMI's, and 32 Allen Bradley VFD's all talking to each other over Ethernet and RS485 - they are rock solid in brutal environments.

If you go with Allen Bradley and Red Lion, you will be able to get a HUGE amount of help on the Internet because they are both so incredibly popular. I don't know anyone who is a huge fan of Allen Bradley support since they are so swamped, but their Knowledge Base is the best I've ever used. And the people at Red Lion will bend over backwards to help you with any problem.

Paul
Yes very similar to the controllogix but without all the $$. Whats more important is the support. They are EXTREMEMLY HELPFUL and WILL WORK WITH YOU FROM START TO FINISH at no charge! AB on the other hand is dissapointingly all about the dollars.

I am really wanting to get my hands on one of those. I have heard from others that they have alot of bang for the buck.