RSView32 CLogix Communication

WinderGuy

I'm not new to RSV32 nor many other Rockwell products, however new connectivity options are eating my lunch.

I need to interface my RSV32 project [v.6.30.16], using RSLinx Pro [v.2.41] (and ethernet/ip), to a single CLogix chassis with an 1756-ENBT card, (and I am in a position to specify the CLogix configuration).

I have now spent an entire day researching how to do this and how to test it {I have no CLogix test equipment available}, without success. I am hoping that some kind sole out there might provide the key that will allow me to get this done.

A "nickle tour" of what needs to be configured would be most appreciative.

1) Setup of (Win2K) ethernet (TCP/IP?)
2) Setup of RSLinx
- Anything special? I selected Browse Local Subnet because I will be on a dedicated line.
3) Setup of RSView32
- Channel
- Node
- Tag Address

Lastly, is there a way that I can test this using two PC's running RSV32/RSLinxPro?

Thanks,
Robk AKA WinderGuy

I'm sorry to cut this reply so brief, but the main pointer I can offer is that you should be heading in the direction of using the OPC drivers in RSLinx.

If you use OPC the RSView configuration no longer uses "Channels/Nodes" but rather directly accesses the "OPC Topic" as defined in RSLinx.

The main advantages are:

1. OPC is faster and more secure, and optimises the messaging better.

2. When set up correctly you will be able to "online browse" the CLX tags directly from within the RSView32 "Tag Editor". Very handy.

3. OPC is pretty much the way all the new comms software is headed and is an integral part of the new "Factory Talk" technology that is headed our way. May as well get used to it now rather than later.

You should already know how to set up TCP/IP on your Windows 2000 box using the Control Panel. Typically I set up a nonroutable system, with my computer as 192.168.1.100 and the controllers as 192.168.1.101 and so forth.

You can configure the IP address of the 1756-ENBT using RSLinx via another network, or with the BOOTP utility that comes with RSLinx.

For testing... well, it's kind of difficult to test communications to a controller when you don't have a controller.

You could set up a SoftLogix 5800 controller; I'm certain that works with a local or remote RSView32 session. You might be able to use RSEmulate 5000 as well. It's new with V12 and I have not used it personally so I can't say for sure. Probably all you'd need to do is set up your OPC shortcut to point to the Emulator, instead of to the EtherNet/IP driver and the remote Logix controller.