Communication between ABB ACS800 and GE RX3I

Tracteur

Hi guys, did you know if it's possible control ACS800 drive with a RX3I cpu with Ethernet ?

If yes what i'll need, i heard of fieldbus (neta-01. ndbu-95 and...)

Thkns in advance

ABB makes at least four different Ethernet adapter cards for the ACS800. It depends upon the fieldbus overlay protocol as to which of the cards to choose.

Time to call your friendly local ABB drive distributor or ABB (800.752.0696) to get price and availability.

Just for the follow up the ABB guys suggest me to use RETA-01 on each drive since I've only 4 drives. what do you think of it ?
We talk of 125HP drive. Does the electrical noise could disturb the signal ? Does the rx3i ethernet communication will work without problem ?

We have Reta-01 using Modbus TCP (CAT 5e Stp) on 2 ABB AC800 with 450 hp motors and 30 others VFDs with 100 hp. Never had problem.

You are right to be concerned about noise. The drive will generate noise in two directions:
1) From its inputs back onto the mains.
2) From its outputs to the motor.

The noise from the inputs, if ignored, can wreak all sorts of problems. Nearby (analog) wires (especially if in paralllel for any distance) will easily pick up the substantial VFD noise and generate garbage. I have seen PLC's be rendered completely useless from the drive's input noise.

To clean up the drive inputs, install a line reactor ahead of the drive inputs: you need a line reactor for each drive, sized to the drive. Or instead of a line reactor for each drive, install a high quality filter at the power input to the PLC. If your PLC uses DC power instead of AC, many switching power supplies have superb filtering that will eliminate the need for a separate filter.

For the drive outputs, the path you run your wires and type of cable you use will have a huge effect. We use VFD cable: jacketed, shielded cables grounded at one end through stainless glands hooked directly to the main earth of the main cabinet. If you run your VFD output wires in parallel with other wires for any distance, the high speed edges from the switching transistors on the drive outputs can easily crosstalk to other signals.

Last edited: