1756-rio

jkerekes

I'm going to do a project using the 1756-RIO card. I've noticed that when I choose an IFE card that the scaling that the max. scaling can only go to 4095, not 9999 which the card can do. Is there a way around this? Do I choose the manual option instead which creates the max scalling tag in the processor? Does any anyone have any user feedback about this card? Thanks!

Are you using the "Automatic" mode, in which the Configuration block transfers are set up with a little configuration window ?

I was never entirely comfortable putting the configuration of a module into the 1756-RIO itself, so I stuck with Semi-Automatic mode, where the configuration block data comes from the ControlLogix, but the 1756-RIO handles the cyclic triggering and re-trying of the block transfers.

The thing I keep having to remind myself of with the 1771-IFE is that the configuration data is sent in BCD format, so I have to change the display radix in RSLogix 5000 to Hex to read it in a human-readable format.

You may be able to change the min/max data just by editing the Template file. I haven't tried editing an existing template file.

Ken:

Yes this was in automatic mode. I'm somewhat familar with the abrio module, but this is the first rio module that I'm going to use. It sounds like the semi-automatic method might be the way to go. I haven't look at the template file yet. Yeah I'm not sure why it's in BCD format, it just is. Also I need to communicate with some drives on rio. I guess I can keep them as discrete words?

The BCD format for the 1771-IFE goes back to its origin as a PLC-2 and PLC-3 module. Those things just keep on ticking.

Drives will be treated like ordinary discrete racks, and if you're block transferring to them you will create a generic Block Transfer module in Group 0 Slot 0.

Which drive interface are you using; the classic 1203-GD1 or the 20-COMM-R ?

I haven't done any drives with the 1756-RIO. It would be a nice technote, I think, to compare the 1203-GD1 and 20-COMM-R or create a template for them.

What drove your choice of the 1756-RIO instead of the conventional 1756-DHRIO ? Was it the number of block transfer devices, or the Monitor feature, or something else ?

Maybe I just lazy! I did a PLC3 to CLX conversion several years ago and I did use several dhrio modules. Not an issue since there wasn't any analog cards only digital. Now I have nine analog cards (ife & ofe) and a 1771-qrd. I figured it would be just easier to configure and run. I've been spoiled when I was working on a large project that used several abrio modules which config in a similar fashion. Also I like how it can generate all the tags for you. I know that's just part of the utility, but it make life easier. What's your thoughts?