micrologix 1100 plc error message

aryautomation

Hi Guys:
I am having a problem with Micrologix 1100, this problem does not happen all the time. Sometimes when I cycle the power to the PLC, PLC goes into fault and returns with the following message.

I/O configuration mismatch, check module 1. The expansion module did not match....

Any help on this problem?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I have seen this problem many times. And fought through it with multiple customers. Some of my customers have had luck reseating the cables between the PLC and the io modules.

I had one where the ribbon cable was pinched and therefore intermittent.

And another where the pins had gotten bent.

But, sorry to say, the most common solution was to replace hardware: sometimes it was the IO module had gone bad, sometimes it was the PLC.

We saw this problem so frequently that I started mounting all my Micrologix PLC's directly to a plate (no DIN rail) and then mounted the plate to the panel using rubber vibration insulators. Once I started mounting the 1100 and 1400 this way, our failure rate went way down.

I actually had one 1100 PLC croak in the first 8 seconds of operation. It was an incredibly physically brutal application on a 1000 HP drag boat that would slam hard as it launched. That's when I started mounting all my 1100's on a second mounting plate on everything I design - and the drag boat has gone many passes since then. I've got dozens of 1100 / 1400 out in the field now and things have gone well since.

Good luck

Last edited: