GE Fanuc Series 90 Micro

ejackson

I have a GE Fanuc Series 90 Micro that I am trying to upload the ladder logic from. I can connect to it, change the RUN/STOP state, and read the hardware configuration. When I try to upload the logic from the PLC I loose communication, it stops the upload and reconnects after a time-out. I am using VersaPro V 2.04, and I have tried different cables. Any ideas?

I have tried two different PC's to transfer the file. I have tried a Dell running WIN 2000 that has a real serial port. I have also tried a notebook PC running Windows 7 with a USB serial port. I had the same results with both.

I do not know what program was used to create the ladder logic.

Hi Steve,

I sold the cables to him... I tested them before I ship them, downloaded and uploaded

He purchased USB and Serial cables, having the same errors on both

By your question.... are you saying that if it was not programmed with Versa Pro then you can not upload the program?

You would think that after you downloaded it to the CPU you could do anything you wanted... I can see not being able to open a saved project/file if it was made by another software but once it's in the CPU you would think that the code would be the same

Thank you!

I've been playing this morning and I've had nothing but trouble trying to download to my Series 90 Micro using VersaPro. I can upload OK, but Versa Pro still says "Logic not Equal" so I tried to download the VP files. It aborts the download and drops communications. I've had to go back to Logicmaster to clear the "Incomplete store" fault from the fault table before VP is able to reestablish communications. This happens even after I use Logicmaster to clear the PLC's memory.

I have no problems with Logicmaster and the Series 90 Micro, so I'd suggest installing LM90 and using that. Logicmaster 90 should be included on the VersaPro CD.

When I do the same tests using Proficy Machine Edition I have no such problems. I can upload a Logicmaster program from the PLC into PME. When I do, it still says "Logic not Equal", but I am able to download from PME to the PLC without any problems. PME warns me that I will be overwriting a program created with different programming software.

Its worth a try...

That is what Steve was talking about, try it and let us know how it works out

I installed LM 90. I was once again able to read the PLC configuration, Change the RUN/STOP status, and even clear errors. I am still not able to read the program from the PLC without loosing communications. I have tried changing the baud rate to 9600 from 19200, I still had communication, but when I tried to read the program, I would loose communication every time. Do you have any other suggestions?

The behavior you're describing sounds a little like there might be an OEM password applied to the PLC. I'm more familiar with the way that works on a 90-30 than a Series 90 Micro. In the 90-30 when the original programmer applied an OEM password, you can view the configuration but not the ladder logic. When you try to upload a password protected program from the PLC to Logicmaster you get a message that says "Insufficient privilege for attempted operation". Maybe the Series 90 Micro drops communication when confronted with a password issue???

Another possibility could be a firmware mismatch issue. Perhaps your version of Logicmaster and VersaPro is too recent for the firmware version of the Micro. Go online with Logicmaster and navigate to the "Status" menu (F3). Right under the yellow line near the top of the screen it will show the CPU model and the "Software revision".

You could also try contacting GE tech support at 800 433-2682 to see if they have anything to suggest.

Also, what are you using for a cable? Does it include a RS232/RS485 converter or are you using a cable that that ties one side of the transmit and receive twisted pairs to ground? I seem to remember that the Series 90 Micro was more finicky than the 90-30 about how much deviation from the officially sanctioned cabling you could get away with. For example, I once ran into a Series 90 Micro that would not communicate at all when I used an early revision level of my Horner RS232/RS485 converter, but worked fine with newer units that had a slightly lower current draw.

Using google I found this link about cables. Maybe it will help. See appendix D and E.
Link:
http://www.artisan-scientific.com/info/GE_Fanuc_Series_90_Micro_PLC_Manual.pdf

from Steve Bailey's post #12
Snip...
Also, what are you using for a cable? Does it include a RS232/RS485 converter or are you using a cable that that ties one side of the transmit and receive twisted pairs to ground? I seem to remember that the Series 90 Micro was more finicky than the 90-30 about how much deviation from the officially sanctioned cabling you could get away with.

Here is a link to the cable similar to what I believe Steve is talking about.
Link:
http://gefanuc.bnsi.net/eforum/showpost.php?p=23142&postcount=5

Last edited:
I looked through the menus and found that the access level was at 4,the highest level. At that level I wouldn't think that a OEM password would be the issue.
I tried both a serial cable and a USB cable to connect with it with the same result. I purchased all of my GE cables from PLCtrainer.net. He did send me different cables that he tested on a Series 90 micro. I am starting to wonder if it some form of internal fault that is causing this.

While access level 4 is the highest nominal level, the OEM password, if present is above level 4.

What I was referring to about the cables is that the 15-pin port on the Series 90 Micro is RS485 while the seriel port on your laptop is RS232. The biggest difference between the two is that RS485 uses a pair of wires for each signal and interprets a one or zero based on the voltage between the pair of wires. RS232 measures the voltage difference between a single wire and the wire labeled "Signal Ground". A RS232/RS485 converter runs each RS232 signal through an OpAmp which outputs a signal and its inverse to make up the RS485 pair. The so-called "cheater" cables don't have the OpAmps. They just connect one side of each signal's pair to signal ground.

The fact that Mark tested the cables he sent you on his Series 90 Micro, and those same cables don't work for you 100 percent of the time suggests to me that there may an incompatibility between the firmware on your PLC and the software version on your PC.