Redundant ControlNet and Powerflex 40's

Greg Dake

Greetings,

I have a 1756-CNBR module connected to seven Powerflex 40 drives. Everything works great, with the exception of testing the redundant media. This is my first redundant media ControlNet network. In RSNetworx for ControlNet, I have media redundancy "A/B" selected in the network properties menu.

The drives work great on network A, but when I unplug the cable to network A, they don't fail over to network B. I know both cables are good because I use B's cable on the A network and all is good. Is there another setting somewhere to control how these respond?

TIA,

Greg

When you "switch over", are you breaking the trunkline somewhere, or are you disconnecting the 1756-CNBR, or something else ?

When you have Channel B only connected, does the network eventually (give it a couple of minutes) start communicating ?

Are there any other devices besides the PowerFlex 22-COMM-C modules and the 1756-CNBR ?

Is the 1756-CNBR at the lowest node number ?

What I'm thinking is that the 22-COMM-C may not have the ability to function as a ControlNet Moderator. I haven't seen devices that can't (even the FLEX adapter and the 1784-PCC can) but maybe this is an exception. Devices that can't hear a Moderator will go into Lonely mode until they hear one again.

Ken,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am breaking the trunkline. Also, B does come up after a minute or so. Only the CNB/R and 22-comm-c's are on the network. The CNB/R is the lowest node number.

Greg

Let's try a simple test: make the 1756-CNBR the highest node number, reschedule the network, and try breaking the trunk again.

I'm not sure if RSNetworx will show you which node number is the current Moderator... maybe there's part of the ControlNet Object that will indicate that and can be accessed with a CIP Generic Message.

I presume that when both Channel A and Channel B are connected that they both have green channel status LEDs ?