ACD file format

minicheck

Can anybody tell me how an RSLogix 5000 ACD-file is structured?
I would like to convert the ACD-file to a L5K-file in an external software but I have no clue how I should interpret the binary data.

Thank you in advance,

Michael

The *.ACD file is actually an archive file, containing the user program, tag database, documentation files, trend configurations, specialty module configurations, etc.

But the archive format is proprietary.

Since RSLogix 5000 can save *.L5K files (and the various XML files that RA uses for routine and Add-On-Instruction import and export) what is the purpose for this kind of external processing ?

Thanks for your reply!
I'd like to build an version control software for RSLogix 5000 projects.
Since I can easily analyze the changes in an L5K-file, I thought I should convert the ACD-file.
But maybe I can access the information in the ACD-file directly without converting it?

I wouldn't bother with the ACD file. You will have a tremendously hard time with it.

I have observed that it's physical size can vary between subsequent "saves" of the same project, so it must contain temporary, or volatile, information.

Depending on how much time and effort you plan to put into your version control project, you might consider the use of the excellent Asset Management software available from RA.

IMHO, flagging changes on it's own is only part of the info needed for proper policing.

If your plant requires version control, then it is just as important to know when changes were made, and who by.

Daba,

I have also seen this change in the size of a .ACD file and sometimes it has been as big as a 2MB change.

I thought it might have been something to do with the data in each tag, or what an array contained. I guess it could be a number of things.

It could be a good topic to post see what everyone else thinks.

Again thanks for your help converting a BOOL into an INT, works lovely.

Cheers

Mark

Not sure what version it appeared in, but you can save the file as .L5x and open it with an HTML editor.