I can't configure RSLinks for a SLC 5/04, please help.

GEORGE D

Supporting Member
I have a SLC 5/04 connected trough CH0 with a 2711-nc cable to a PV 550-b5a5. I can not auto configure the RSLinks to 5/04 CH0 using a 1747-CP3 cable to the PC. Please help me, thank you very much. George. 🍻

To understand a bit further, in you have a DF1 Configuration setup in RSLinx and it is running. You have the serial port of PC tied to the processor. Next, you use RSWho and go to the DF1 driver. On the DF1 driver, Station 00 (PC) and Station 01 (SLC) are shown. You highlight the SLC and select Autoconfig and you get a fail message. Is this the case and what other information is given?

Your PV supports DH485 protocol. Which means that the serial port on your SLC would have to be configured for DH485. The DF1 driver will not work. You will have to configure RSLinx for DH485.
Does your PC have a real serial port? If so then the 1747-PIC/AIC+ Driver should work with your cable . If not then you will need a 1747-UIC
( USB to DH485 converter).

Last edited:
Hi Mickey, thank you very much for your help. I do have both 1747-PIC and AIC+. I will try with AIC+ because I hope I will figure it out how to connect them. For 1747-PIC there is no jack on the SLC 5/04 and I don't know where to plug PIC's plug.
Have a nice weekend, and Happy Holidays and happy and successful New Year.
George

So, the system is running, with a 5/04, CH0 (Serial Nine Pin D Connector) connected AIC+ ? Or, directly to the 550 using a RS232 cable?

If it's working and you want PC connectivity, I suggest you utilize the DH+ channel if practical for your needs, since it could be more expensive initially.

It will then allow up to a 10,000 foot "blue hose" to wherever you want, and you can do all your troubleshooting, and careful programming remotely. The cable is cheap, and the protocol, "Allen Bradley DH+" is very easy to work with, diagnostics are simple and ladder accessible. and you can do LOTS of data gathering at 57.6K. It's very noise resistant. I know a guy who found DH+ working intermittently and went to reterminate a phoenix plug and got shocked. He measured 120VAC and found a control power wire touching the terminal blocks. It ran through rectangular steel raceway with multiple servo motor and VFD leads and it simply worked. When it broke, it took five minutes to diagnose.

I LOVE DH+!

[/soap_box]

Now if you just want temporary connectivity, then laptop tap into the existing AIC module. You should be able to use the 1747-CP3 (working from memory here Mickey, double check me on this!)...

BUT, you configure the RS232-Devices Driver as DH485, then connect to a RS232 port on the AIC+, and have access to both the SLC and the PV550 Standard.

You need to know the node numbers of the PV550 and the SLC CH0, so, make sure you choose a node number for your DH485 driver in RSLinx that isn't being used, then browse the driver (RSWho) until you see both of them, and note their node numbers, then stop the driver and set your RSLinx node number to the lowest number not in use...this will improve data rates due to the successive token passing scheme of DH485. Then reconnect with PanelBuilder32 and/or RSLogix500.

Last edited:
Thank you much OKiePC

Hi OKiePC. The system is running direct from 5/04 CH0 trough a 2711-NC13 to PV550 -B5A5. I do have a 1761-NET-AIC which has a serial nine Pin D connector wired to PIC top left plug next to the round jack for the 1761 CBL-PM02. I am not sure if it is correct to connect this serial nine Pin D connector to 5/04 CH0 and then use the 1747-CP3 cable connected to the bottom 9 pin jack next to external power sw. to the PC serial port. So I will have to use a DH485 Drive not RS232 DF1 device like I did and it didn,t work.
Thank you very much,

George
moz-screenshot.png
🍻

Gosh, I am without manuals (sitting in Atwood's parking lot) so I say go to the manuals. or wait for Mickey to chime in with a snippet or link...

I think you can add the AIC as a permanent part but I still don't know the purpose of your connection to make the right recommendation.

Is this to be an infrequent temporary connection?

See picture below. If you want to leave your PV connected to the SLC and connect your PC at the same time you are going to need another AIC+.

The picture below shows a Micrologix but just substitute your SLC in its place and use your 1761-CBL-PM02 cable to connect to the SLC.

As OkiePC has said if you just want to program your SLC then disconnect the PV and use your 1747-CP3 cable between your PC and PV with the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver.

I'm not sure how you would connect a PIC to your AIC+, don't know what cable you would use if that is even possible.

Also see link below for the manual on the 1761-NET-AIC if you don't have it.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um004_-en-p.pdf

aictoPVPC.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much Mickey and OKiePC

Yes I just want to program the 5/04. So I will disconnect the PV 2711-nc13 from the 5/04 CH0 and connect the 1761-CBL-PM02 8 PIN Mini-DIN to the Port 2 of the AIC+ and the other end of cable to 5/04 CH0 then use my 1747-CP3 from the bottom jack of the AIC+ to my Lop-Top serial port? Is that correct? And then I will have to use a DH485 drive from RSLinx and find out the right node number, yes?

Thank you very much to both of you,

Have a nice evening, and a great day tomorrow,and better weather than in Cleveland, there is a big storm of snow on it's way. :site:

Hello Mickey, hello OKiePC

Yes I just want to program the 5/04. I disconnected the PV 2711-nc13 from the 5/04 CH0 and connected the 1761-CBL-PM02 8 PIN Mini-DIN to the Port 2 of the AIC+ and the other end of cable to 5/04 CH0 then I used my 1747-CP3 from the bottom jack of the AIC+ to my Lop-Top serial port. I have RSLinks V2.31.00 which has only two options for DH485, one is: SLC500(DH485)Emulator drive, I tried it and didn't work. Second is 1784-KT/KTX(D)/PKTX(D)/PCMK for DH+/DH-485 devices which settings do I need.
A few weeks ago I connected 1761-CBL-PM02 8 PIN Mini-DIN to the 5/04 Port 1 and the other end of cable to the serial port of the PC. I read somewhere that I could destroyed the Port 1 by doing this connection. Is that posible and that could be why I could not comunicate with the SLC? How can I verify that? 🍻

Thank you very much to both of you,

Try the driver "1747-PIC/AIC+" in RSLinx. Baud rates must match and RSLinx and your controller's node addresses must be different.

Yes its possible to damage your PC's serial post. Hopefully you are lucky.

FYI, the 8 pin round port on your SLC5/04 is a DH+ port not a serial port.

Last edited:
Hello Mickey, hello Dravik

Mickey, I just checked the serial port on my LopTop and is good I could connect to a MicroLogix. I will try tomorrow the driver "1747-PIC/AIC+" in RSLinx. I am not sure what do you mean by Baud rates must match and RSLinx and your controller's node addresses must be different. But I will try different settings and I hope I will connect. Thank you very much for all your help and patience. 🍻
Dravik, I have Windows 98 on my LopTop and I work with RSLinx Lite V 2.31.00 and RSLogix V 5.20.00. Thank you for your help.:beerchug:Best regards,
George

If you have the offline file for your SLC5/04 then check its port configuration for channel 0. This will tel you the baud rate and the node address of the port.
If you need help with that post your SLC5/04's program (.RSS file) zip it first then post.
See picture below for a RSLinx view of its 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver configuration screen. Take note of the baud rate setting and the Station Nunber ( node address).

Also make sure the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver is the only driver configured.

BaudAddress.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Mickey

Mickey thank you very much for all your help. I will do all your advices on Monday January 03, now the plant is closed.
I wish you a happy and peaceful New Year! I will let you know with the good news.

Thank you, 🍻
George