SCADA performance

mathew.leonow

G'day everyone,

I just had a quick question regarding how CitectSCADA performs....

I have a database comprising of about 50,000 tags and growing. With my graphics screens, I only display a small fraction of these. I don't want to delete unused tags in case i just end up creating them again in the future anyway haha.

When Citect, or any other SCADA program, communicates with the PLC, is it updating the entire database, or just the tags that I have chosen to display on the screens??

The reason I am asking this, is because in time I will be adding a lot more to our CitectSCADA project, and want to make sure that the server PC can handle it...

cheers, any help is good help :)

When something in Citect references a tag, eg displayed on a page or trended or alarmed then the IOserver will request that data from the field devices. If the tags are not referenced anywhere then they shouldn't slow down your performance apart from when you compile or pack your database or similar then it needs to run thru them all.

one more quick question...

how many projects can i include under a main project? i read somewhere 8, but can anybody explain this?