Too many connections on S7 ?!

RTK

Hello all,

I'm using a CPU 317F-2DP and setup under "communication" tab on CPU properties on HW config as:
PG Communication - 10
OP Communication - 12
S7 Basic Comm. - 10

It shows that the max. connection resources are 32.

On my entire system I have 3 HMI's and 2 WinccFlex Runtime on 2 different computers. (Way below than 12 reserved !)

So my problem is that I cannot go online with my PG neither run the Runtime if both computers are runing the Runtime at the same time !! As soon one of them close the runtime, I can automaticaly get online....

Is there anything else that I might be missing out ??

Thanks in advance for future thoughts !!

Yes, I downloaded some HW changes and with that you have to put the CPU in stop and them warm restart. Is that what you mean about restarting the S7 ?
Other than 2 WinCCFlex Runtime computers that, the 3 HMI's are always on and connected...

So what ethernet card are you using
A lean?

Edit

Oops are you connecting all thru profibus?

Last edited:
So what ethernet card are you using
A lean?

Edit

Oops are you connecting all thru profibus?
I think so.
It's a -2DP.
I doubt they are using ethernet or profinet.
Since they don't utilize the resources though, why not cut down to what you need and maybe a couple more connections instead of maxing out?

I think so.
It's a -2DP.
I doubt they are using ethernet or profinet.
Since they don't utilize the resources though, why not cut down to what you need and maybe a couple more connections instead of maxing out?

I was assuming and you know what that does. :)

Ive seen a few applications lately where people are using 343 Lean cards and are running out of connections

I also see people set up the connection resources wrong too.

We're using a CP343-1 Lean in the PLC rack (to talk with the HMI's and Runtimes). Everything else is on profibus using the IM-151 HF...

RTK said:
I'm using a CPU 317F-2DP and setup under "communication" tab on CPU properties on HW config as:
PG Communication - 10
OP Communication - 12
S7 Basic Comm. - 10
Where are you seing these used connections ?
In the offline project ?
Or in the CPU online ?
If you are online, there will be 2 columns, "reserved" and "occupied".
What is the difference between the two columns ?

Some more things you can do:

Check in NetPro, while the CPU is highlighted, if any connections have been setup manually. While you are at it, check all other stations as well.

Try to shutdown (power off !) and power up again, but with no PCs or HMIs connected at all. Then connect your PC only, and check the connection usage. Turn on the remaining communication partners one by one and follow how connections are being used (*). That will maybe give you an idea what is going on.

Also check if the firmware version is the latest that is possible on the CPU.

*: Use the "update" button frequently !

Don't shoot me if I'm wrong, but I mean I once experienced that a (major) reduce of the reservations will open for more connection resources. IOW, the reservations works kind of opposite of what one could expect.

Kalle

Just go Online in the hardware config-
go to the diagnostics of the module

Double click the lean module
Go to the Diagnostic tab
Run the diag

go look at the number of connections used
You can even unplug hmi's and refresh

Yeah, I did that and doesn't go more than 5 connections.
Counter Difference
Max. connec.used 5 0
Connec.currently in use 5 0
Denied connec.estab. 0 0
Error due... 0 0

Funny thing... 5 is the max as it goes !!
Is this something related of using the 343-1 Lean ? Is that the max connection number possible ?

Answering the posts before:
NickB - Yes I do have the Simatic Net installed
JesperMP - I updated the firmware, check the NetPro (no manual S7-connections, only the HMI's and the Runtime PC's)

Performance data No. of simultaneous connections via Industrial Ethernet in total
max. 12

S7 Communication (server only)
  • <LI class=MsoNormal>No. of connections
  • Qty. of user data
max. 4
max. 240 bytes

http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/23868313

Your out of connections-

You have 5 HMI's connected

Buy a high-end CP and your all set, this is why the Lean card is inexpensive. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, you got it !!

You get what you pay fo it.... This is very good thing to know before buying a CP 343-1 Lean !!!

Thank you guys for all the inputs.... This forum is so far the best one I've seen !!