"i am a rookie"

Buzzen

I am currently working on a project that would be simple for most> the problem=i need the plc to control abb vfd drives. Slc 500. How do you even start! There will be a simple pid loop with flow meters.

Start by writing up a functional description of the system/control.
Consider the amount of information you want to bring back to the PLC from the drives and all associated devices. Do you need to display information(ie, HMI, SCADA)? What kind of alarming would be required?

it is dh+
and all I need to display is the following: pid will raise or lower the speed of the drive, and the usual start, stop. I will also need to program a hmi. I am starting by a digital input map so that I can set my registers for the hmi. The ladder logic is screwing me up for some reason.

Don't worry about the ladder itself for now. Write up how you would logically control it. The ladder will flow from that writeup.
Pseudocode is great for this.

If start button is pressed then check permissives.
If permissives are good AND start button was pressed, start drive.
etc.

Many ABB drives have a PID built in. If the model you have chosen has this feature you may want to consider using it, then you send the setpoint to the drive.

If you require more help you should consider posting the product codes of each of the items in the system.

Most of the time the information you're going to require can be found in the product documentation.