Eithernet card location

rwensley

I have a contrologix 5000 based BMS that has the ethernet card in remote rack 2 slot 7. I can not establish communications to the plc via ethernet. I am sending a vaild request but getting a error message returned.

Previously I have only seen the ethernet card in the cpu rack.

Does it make a difference which slot/rack it is in?

Thanks,
Ron

Hi Ron,

Putting the Ethernet module in a remote chassis that's connected over ControlNet was a typical implementation for ControlLogix Redundancy systems a few years ago, before IP Address Swapping was implemented (I think in 16.5x).

The RA protocol can happily bridge from Ethernet to ControlNet to a backplane.

My typical rundown when checking Ethernet connectivity is to check the LED status on the module itself, then start with the low-level protocols and move up: PING the module, try to browse it over HTTP with a web browser, use the TCPING utility to check the TCP connectivity, and finally try to troubleshoot RSLinx Classic or RSLinx Enterprise.

Are you sure that its an Ethernet card (ENBT or similar)?
AB's Controlnet cards (CNB's...) have an RJ45 plug on the front of them, which looks like the perfect place to plug your laptop into...but isnt.

IIRC, most Controllogix enet cards have their port on the bottom of the car.

I'm sure that the local AB guys have had more than their fair share of headaches due to guys trying to plug their laptop into the Controlnet card's monitor port.

-John