AB 1746-NI16I Headache's

Heterodoxy

The 1746-NI16I is a whole new beast of it’s own, in comparison to what I’ve worked with before! Which has been the 1746-NI4, it’s pretty straightforward. Each input channel is mapped directly as one word into the input image table of the SLC. But this NI16I is really throwing me for a loop. From what I can make out in the manual the card can be configed as a Class 1 or Class 3 through RSLogix. (Which I don’t understand what the difference is between them either, but anyway) Let’s say I decided Class 1, when you go to adv config of the card it shows only a max of 8 scanned input words! And what’s going on here, there’s also 8 available scanned output words? Now why is that, I thought that we were dealing with an input card here?

Moving on now, lets say that it’s configured as a Class 3 card now. Same scenario when I go to the adv config screen I get a choice of 32 scanned input & output words. The manual say’s number of inputs 16! Why can’t they make easy like the NI4. If anyone could address these questions in lymans terms, it sure would be appreciated!

Here’s my situation, I have 17 (4-20mA) analog input signals that I need to monitor. One (4-20mA) analog output signal to send. Two discrete inputs and three discrete outputs to control. I’m using RS Logix v5.50 and my rack is a four-slot unit, setup like this:

Slot 0: 1747-L542 SLC 5/04 series C
Slot 1: 1746-NI16I (Class ?)
Slot 2: 1746-NIO4I
Slot 3: 1746-IO8

Thanks in Advance
Heterodoxy

PS. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

I used an NI8 Module and I had to add a copy block to configure the module. COP #N10:0 #0:24.0 Length of 8. I also had a first pass bit on the rung. I configured it as a class 1 module. Also in each of the N10:0 thru 7, I had a value of 3075 in there.

I believe your settings would be COP #N10:0 #0:1.0 Length of 16.

Hope this helps.

All right, that’s the exact direction that I needed!
Thanks Mark

Boy do I feel stupid now! I had two other pfd’s on the card, and none of them provided as much, or as clear of an understanding than your link.

Thanks Again
Heterodoxy