PLC with 3 x RS232 Ports.

Have you looked at using a serial data splitter or multiple splitters? Or do you need three seperate RS232 ports on the PLC?

I would look at using a Red Lion G3 hmi and map all the serial ports back to the plc.

Do the devices have the ability to be addressed? If so, potentially only 1x serial port is required...:oops:

I assumed that they could not be. That is why I jumped to a device that could handle multiples. I was thinking that if any of us ask a question we have already when through the basic steps. I forget that this is a leaning place to ask starter and advanced questions. (Well I shouldn't assume anything look at some of my past question)

Need to be addressed? Not sure I understand that question.

The application is as follows and requires very little coding I would imagine so a Compact Logix is over kill ( My problem , should have being more detailed)

Also I will be purchasing tonnes of these so I want it to be as cheap as possible.

I need to interface with 3 coin accepters. They are each connected to a MDB serial interface.

I need a way of programmably addressing each of them and be able to read/write to them.

I'm not so sure I could do this with a port splitter?

Anyone any advice on this would be great. Really requires very little coding with the exception of interfacing serially to these devices.

Does anyone know of a PLC capable of reading/writing to 3 x RS232 devices.
A couple years ago, I used a Beckhoff CX1020 with (7) RS232 cards. In theory you could use up to 256.

You could also use a Beckhoff bus coupler, such as DeviceNET, along with the KL6031 cards and add a large number of RS232 to any PLC. Probably not the easiest route when it comes to programming.

You could use a Phoenix Contact ILC130 PLC with 2 RS232 cards.

The base PLC has an RS232 Port on it. You program over ethernet so using the on board RS232 doesn't eat up your programming port.

Software is free.

<disclaimer - I work for a Phoenix Contact Distributor>