Profibus cable with 4 wires (2 pair)

Archie

I'm working on a project that will be using the Schneider TeSys starter with a Profibus interface. There is a power tap module that is used to add 24VDC power along with the Profibus cable.

Is there such thing as a 4 wire Profibus cable? I can't seem to find any. This documents appears to show 4 wires in one cable:

http://www.global-download.schneide...E83878825757800494023/$File/1639560_01a55.pdf

Page 2 of this document shows the power tap module (LU9GC7) with a single cable coming out:

http://www.global-download.schneide...6D14188257578005F546C/$File/1639544_01a55.pdf

In the lower left corner of your first document, it shows the stripping specs. for the cable. In that box, it lists the part number as LU9RPB***. I'm guessing that's the Schneider part number for this 4-conductor cable? The *** is probably for the length, Maybe your Schneider rep. can recommend a Belden equivalent?

🍻

-Eric

Eric

I noticed that number in one of the other documents and tried to Google it with no luck. But when I tried LU9RPB100 it turns up a lot of results. It is a schneider cable part number.

I'll check with the rep to see if they sell it in bulk or have an equivalent in another brand.

Thanks
Archie

Archie,

I have worked on projects where customers have used DeviceNet cable in place of ProfibusDP cable because they wanted Power & Comms to be on the same cable. They weren't running 12Mb, but at speeds of 250Kbps or slower it seemed to work fine.

Joe_WaZoo

Interesting idea to use DeviceNet cable. I'm sure as long as the length is reasonably short and the speed slow enough, there would be no issues.

What I have found is that Belden 9184 (2 twisted pair) cable has the same impedance as Profibus cable and a capacitance within the range of Profibus designated cables.