plc to pc communication

tajammal

i want to connect pc using simaticWINCC (PC based) as HMI for s7-300 plc. i have adapter for MPI/ RS232. i want to place my pc at approximately 250 metres from plc. what additional components are required for this task. what is maximum permissible distance for this adapter(one end connected to MPI port at cpu 315-2DP) and the other end connected to serial port at PC. what else components are required.

i want to connect pc using simaticWINCC (PC based) as HMI for s7-300 plc. i have adapter for MPI/ RS232. i want to place my pc at approximately 250 metres from plc. what additional components are required for this task. what is maximum permissible distance for this adapter(one end connected to MPI port at cpu 315-2DP) and the other end connected to serial port at PC. what else components are required.

Forget the serial/MPI connection. Think about ethernet with standard cables (max cable length 100 m - you need 2 switches/hubs between) or a fiber optic cable. At least you need a CP in your PLC rack.

Siemens makes some nice items for doing these long runs..

Look at the OLM module for profibus/mpi or the X101 media converter for ethernet

Remember to buy 2! (made that mistake before)

For your PC you may want to make sure you don't need a comm module to talk profibus/mpi or even industrial ethernet. I just setup an H-project with a couple HMIs and couldn't configure my runtime project without having a siemens CP in there...
I ended up using a couple CP1613 A2s I had laying around

Hope this helps

Last edited:
what i understand is that i have to buy CP1613A2 and put it in PCI slot of my PC. then by using standard ethernet setup(switches etc.) connect other end of ethernet cable to my cpu(315-2DP) port. is this sufficient.
correct me.
thanks

I think it's better idea to change ur s7-300 cpu type. change it with the one who has profinet port.

I think it'll give better performance than cp modules or converters