Warner Electric Mentor II Drive

controlled

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a customer with a Paper winder that is having problems with its main drive. It is a Warner Electric Mentor II Seco drive.

Of course I dont have any manuals for the drive, and am having a hard time trying to find any online.

The problem they are having is, every 5th or 6th time the drive is enabled, nothing happens. The drive comes with a seperate control board (Model WB37156) that is connected to the drive with a ribbon cable. The start/stop signals are wired to the control board. The stop signal is wired between term 2 and 3, and the run fwd signal is wired between terms 3 and 10.

When the run fwd is enabled, the "RUN FWD" led on the main drive is lit and the motor turns. Also, on the control board the following led's are lit, DS1 Enable fire, DS2 Enable ref, DS3 Enable ramp and DS4 Run fwd.

Now, when the problem happens, the start signal between terms 3 and 10 is closed, the RUN FWD led is lit on the main drive, and the DS4 run fwd led is lit on the control board. The other 3 led's (DS1 DS2 DS3) are not lit. I suspect this is telling me what the problem is, but because I dont have a manual I dont know what the LED's mean.

Does anyone have any experience with these drives?

I am familiar with Control Techniques (Emerson) Mentor II drives. I suspect that your drive is a brand labelled Control Techniques drive. However, I have never seen the separate control board you mentioned. Are your inputs 120 VAC. It may be an interface board as the actual drive inputs are 24 VDC.

The Mentor II manual can be downloaded from http://www.emersonct.com/intro_downloadsonly_frame.shtm

The Quantum drive is a Mentor II in an enclosure with fuses, contactor, disconnect switch, etc. added. With the manual you should be able to verify which drive inputs are activated. I would start by checking if the Enable input is activated. This is parameter 8.11

Are there any other inputs wired to the separate control board? If there is an enable input, is it active when the drive won't start.

This should get you started.