S7 as S5 issue

Adrian Rios

Hi everybody, hope you are having a nice time on this holidays.
I have a S7 simatic station and some programming there (another guy made it, so I do not know the details), and I need to do some testing regarding a software driver developed on Windows to communicate with a S5 PLC, our engineer who developed the S7 PLC programming says the PLC maintains connection with our clients but the truth is that even I get success on S5StartConnection the following calls to S5StartRead fails with H1_WAIT_CONNECT (that is not truly an error) and I cannot read from it.
So the question at this point is: Is this really possible?, to treat a S7 plc just like a S5 to read from and write to?
What other requirements exists apart from having the INAT PC H1 driver installed on the windows client, having interchanged the mac addresses for both windows client and PLC?
I hope someone could enlight us.
Adrian.