PLC5->CLS5000 FAL and IIN

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm doing my first PLC5->CLX5000 conversion and am a bit rusty on the PLC5, I think.
I have a FAL in the PLC5 that the conversion does not like:
FAL
Control R16:1
Length 16
Position xx
Mode ALL
Dest N12:80
Expression N12:10

Now, if I remember right, this would appear to be puting something in 16 memory locations (N12:80 thru N12:95) , but I can't remember if it is the contents of just N12:10, or a one-by-one, N12:10->N12:80, N12:11->N12:81, etc. I looked at the data table, and its almost all '0', so I can't tell. Additionally, it only shows usage on N12:80, nothing after that. And, I can't get online to the processor, so I'm kinda stuck on this one.

- - - -
The second issue is that the PLC5 had a IIN instruction to pull a word of input in, right before some logic. All I know to do for this is the do a MOV from the Remote I/O address, and just cross my fingers.

---

Any help or insight appreciated.

Merry Christmas

jdbrandt said:
...if I remember right, this would appear to be puting something in 16 memory locations (N12:80 thru N12:95) , but I can't remember if it is the contents of just N12:10, or a one-by-one, N12:10->N12:80, N12:11->N12:81, etc.

I think what you have is the equivalent of a FLL (Fill File) instruction with a variable for the source. In other words, it just copies the expression N12:10 to all the destinations. If there is a "#" operator in front of the N12:10 in the expression, then it might be indexing the whole group of them, but I am not 100% certain on this and don't have a PLC-5 to test with.

jdbrandt said:
The second issue is that the PLC5 had a IIN instruction to pull a word of input in, right before some logic. All I know to do for this is the do a MOV from the Remote I/O address, and just cross my fingers.

You will find (in most cases) that the Logix CPU and I/O scan are so much faster than the PLC-5 hardware, that IIN instructions may not be necessary, but it would be reassuring to understand what's connected to those inputs in order to determine how to tackle it with your new system.

The Destination and Expression addresses should tell you the mode of operation.

To index through the respective data-tables, they could have a # symbol in front of them (at least one of them should anyway, as it would be pointless using a FAL without).

If it's :-
Dest #N12:80
Expression #N12:10

then N12:10 -> N12:80
and N12:11 -> N12:81
etc.

and N12:10 -> N12:81
etc.

and N12:11 -> N12:80
etc. and that seems a bit pointless as it does it all in one go !

Anyway, if this is just a file copy, then replace the FAL with a COP instruction....

COP N12[10] N12[80] 16

If it's a filling operation, replace the FAL with a FLL instruction....

FLL N12[10] N12[80] 16

I agree about the FAL; because the expression is just a statement of a single register, it's equivalent to a Fill (FLL) instruction where the source is N12:10 and the value is put into sixteen destination registers.

The IIM is trickier. On a recent PLC-5 to Logix conversion I worked on, we put the previous "local" rack on its own RIO scanner channel at 230.4 kb/s so we'd have the best discrete I/O performance, and we measured an average of 3 ms per scan for that rack.

The Input and Output tags for a RIO Adapter like a 1771-ASB are updated at the RPI rate that you enter for that adapter (not the rate you enter for the scanner; that's for Status). It's not synchronized with the scan of the RIO network.

I measure the scantime of the RIO network and set the RPI to half of that.

Edit: Refer to daba's explanation of the FAL syntax; he's the instruction set expert.

thanks

awesome example.

The Destination and Expression addresses should tell you the mode of operation.

To index through the respective data-tables, they could have a # symbol in front of them (at least one of them should anyway, as it would be pointless using a FAL without).

and N12:11 -> N12:81
etc.

and N12:10 -> N12:81
etc.

and N12:11 -> N12:80
etc. and that seems a bit pointless as it does it all in one go !

Anyway, if this is just a file copy, then replace the FAL with a COP instruction....

COP N12[10] N12[80] 16

If it's a filling operation, replace the FAL with a FLL instruction....

FLL N12[10] N12[80] 16

Warnings: message tag not configured

Phase II in my conversion.
When I verify, I get the normally flagged stuff, and I've got that all cleaned up. The conversion tool works really well, for all it has to do.
Now, I'd really LIKE to get rid of the warnings.
I get one that really perplexes me:
Warning MG1385 message tag not configured.

Oh, there's a tag called MG1385, and it IS a type MESSAGE.
But, since it was a left over in the old program, and not used anywhere, it has no configuration.

Of course, the answer to this is locked on the knowledgebase, so I'm simply inclined to delete the tag, and move on.

The confusing part is the warning....ok, the contents of the tag are not set to anything, but, then again, the tag is not used in a MSG instruction, so, what's the big deal??

Merry Christmas.

I think that RSLogix 5000 flags unconfigured MESSAGE type tags just as a doublecheck; typically you won't have a MESSAGE tag that is intentionally unconfigured but you could have one that you overlooked and RSLogix 5000 would tell you.

In your case because the control tag isn't used by an actual MSG instruction, you can safely delete it.