SLC 5/04 and PV300

stevendt

Hi,

I want to connect a PanelView 300 (2711-K3A21L) to an SLC-5/04 and would appreciate some advice on connections etc. please. I have been reading the 2711-UM014 manual, but am still a bit unsure what additional cables and equipment that I need to achieve what I want, if indeed, I can.

I'd like to have both the PV and the SLC programming cables permanently connected to the PLC so that I can go on-line with RSLogix or have the panel up without physically making/breaking connections.

I normally connect using RSLogix 500 through the 9 pin serial port (Port 0) using a Null modem cable - that's using DF1 I think.

Based on the model number, I believe that the PV300 is DH485.

To achieve what I want, I think that I'd need to change to DH485 for the RSLogix connection though RSLinx - assuming that this is "doable" by changing the protocol and adding hadware (an AIC?).

Then I'd need to multi-drop the PLC and PV300 on a DH485 network. As I type this, I'm thinking that this won't work though - the PLC probably can't communicate with the PC and the PV at the same time?

Is there any way to connect through RSLogix at the same time as a DH485 PV is connected? Incidentally, I have a 1746-BAS installed which has a DH485 port, I don't suppose that the PV can connect to that?

Any help would be appreciated...
regards
Dave

Hi,

I want to connect a PanelView 300 (2711-K3A21L) to an SLC-5/04 and would appreciate some advice on connections etc. please. I have been reading the 2711-UM014 manual, but am still a bit unsure what additional cables and equipment that I need to achieve what I want, if indeed, I can.

I'd like to have both the PV and the SLC programming cables permanently connected to the PLC so that I can go on-line with RSLogix or have the panel up without physically making/breaking connections.

I normally connect using RSLogix 500 through the 9 pin serial port (Port 0) using a Null modem cable - that's using DF1 I think.

Based on the model number, I believe that the PV300 is DH485.

To achieve what I want, I think that I'd need to change to DH485 for the RSLogix connection though RSLinx - assuming that this is "doable" by changing the protocol and adding hadware (an AIC?).

Then I'd need to multi-drop the PLC and PV300 on a DH485 network. As I type this, I'm thinking that this won't work though - the PLC probably can't communicate with the PC and the PV at the same time?

Is there any way to connect through RSLogix at the same time as a DH485 PV is connected? Incidentally, I have a 1746-BAS installed which has a DH485 port, I don't suppose that the PV can connect to that?

Any help would be appreciated...
regards
Dave

The firmware in the PV300 can be changed to DF1 if you are careful and find and follow the instructions, it isn't really too hard, but first you must be able to talk DH485 to it.

If you don't own a method of communicating DH485, then trade it for a Red Lion G304, or G306 and you will be money ahead let alone the fact that it's like swithing from Atari Pong to PS3 in capability.

If you can come up with one of the options to speak DH485, then there are sub-choices:

The main goal being you want more than point to point communications (RSLogix monitoring while still maintaining comms to the PV300), then you need to consider options and there are many.

1) Will you be satisfied with a DH485 network at 19.2k that can support organized will planned data transfer among up to a half dozen nodes over a wide area with mid-priced adapters at every node and cheap multi-conductor cable? Do you own some 1761-NET-AIC interfaces or equivalent? Got an old 1747-PIC laying around? They're a PITA sometimes to set up initially, but if they're already there, use them.

2) Can you take advantage of the 5/04 DH+ port and get data highway speeds of up to 230.4k with superior and simpler wiring methods and interface hardware. I love DH+, it works in most any electrical environment, and if it quits the LED goes frum GREEN to RED and it's simple to find and fix faults. It's only 3 wires counting the shield, and very simple to deal with in PLC code, field wiring, and diagnosis and quick repair.

3) Do you want to skip those fading legacy networks, and use ethernet right off the bat? Do you have a 1761-NET-ENI module laying around? Can you move the application to Crimson 3.0 (no cost to start using the free software). A G306 with ethernet can be a gateway and HMI giving you all of the connectivity you want on ethernet, but there is a slight learning curve.

So, think about these, and note that you could combine the options in multiple ways, depending on urgency, and supplies on hand as well as long term goals.

Paul

Last edited:
Hi there,

thanks a lot for the quick reply - on Christmas Eve too!

I'm just heading out for a Christmas meal myself (it's early evening here in the UK) but I will read your reply in more detail tomorrow (I'll need a break from the "festivities" at some point!

The DF1 firmware change is interesting - sounds like it's worth investgating, I think there is firmware on the PanelBuilder CD, but don't know if if the required f/w is on there, but I will look.

This is a "hobby" type project, so I don't want to spend a great deal of cash upgrading. From what you've said though, going to DH-485 long term sounds like a backward step, athough I do have an (untried) 1747-PIC and some 1761-NET-AICs around here that I can try. To be honest, I had not thought about the speed penalty.

I'd love to go Ethernet, but as much as I'd like one, I can't run to a 1761-NET-ENI. I have been trying to pick one up for a while, but they are pretty expensive - for me anyway - see para 1 :)

regards
Dave

The firmware in the PV300 can be changed to DF1 if you are coreful and find and follow the instructions, it isn't reall too hard, but first you must be able to talk DH485 to it.

If you don't own a method of communicating DH485, then trade it for a Red Lion G304, or G306 and you willbe money ahead let alone the fact that it's like swithing from Atari Pong to PS3 in capability.

If you can come up with one of the options to speak DH485, then there are sub-choices:

1) Will you be satisfied with a DH485 network at 19.k that can support organized will planned data transfer among up to a half dozen nodes over a wide area with mid-priced adapters and cheap cable? Do you own some 1761-NET-AIC interfaces or equivalent? Got an old 1747-PIC laying around? They're a PITA sometimes to set up initially, but if they're already there, use them.

2) Can you take advantage of the 5/04 DH+ port and get data highway speeds of up to 230.4k with a superior and simpler wiring method
, but if you want more than point to point communications (RSLogix monitoring while still maintaining comms to the PV300), then you need to consider options and there are many. I love DH+, it works in most any electrical environment, and if it quits, it's only 3 wires counting the shield, and very simple to deal with in PLC code, field wiring, and diagnosis and quick repair.

3) Do you want to skip those fading legacy networks, and use ethernet right off the bat? Do you have a 1761-NET-ENI module laying around? Can you move the application to Crimson 3.0 (no cost to start using the free software). A G306 with ethernet can be a gateway and HMI giving you all of the connectivity you want on ethernet, but there is a slight learning curve.

1) DH485, o

Merry Christmas, as I transform into the Tazmanian Elf myself!

Yeah, nothing wrong with DH485 at all for a hobby project, so when you get off Holiday, search on here for Windows XP SP2 serenum 1747-PIC, and the firmware utility is on the CD, the firmware might be too, but can be found easily (I have it at work, and I have done this once or twice years ago.)

Thanks a lot - Merry XMas to you too!

I'm just back from town, full full of Christmas spirt (and wine!), and about to have a few more before Santa arrives :)

Trust you're packing up now, ready for the "transformation", all the best!

(I'm sure I'll be in touch again when the PV stuff goes horribly wrong!)

regards
Dave

DH+ Options?

Hi Paul,
I Hope you had a good Christmas!

I have been going over the options and thinking about what they mean....

It seems like the simplest (and cheapest) option for me would be to switch to DH485, using the 1747-PIC that I already have to talk to the PLC using DH485 with the PC, PLC and PV sharing a DH485 network. Reading through some of the 1747-PIC threads suggests that using Windows XP and the PIC driver might not be too stable?

I know that I could try to get a 1747-UIC, but the PC serial option is actually better for me, the PLC is connected to a ******* Serial Hub so that I can connect to the PLC from a number of PCs wirelessly, i.e., the PC has a wireless connection to a ******* Device Master on the network. This works fine with RSLogix, RSLinx etc. so I would prefer to stick with PC Serial comms and am a bit worried about introducing the 1747-PIC if it may have problems with Windows XP.

I could also reflash the PV300 to DF1 and network the PC, PLC and PV using something like a 1747-DPS1 (that I don't currently have) to allow the PLC DF1 port to be split to allow the PC and PV to connect at the same time.

It looks like the speed in both cases would be similar? As you say, for a "hobby" type application, speed would not be a problem, but I would like to optimise it if possible.

Your sugestion to use the higher speed of DH+ is interesting though. It seems that I could potentially leave the PC-PLC comms on DF1 using PLC Port 0 and connect the PV300 to DH+? I can not see anything that can convert DH+ to DF1/DH485 though. Can you point me toward something that could do that please?
regards
Dave

talk to the PLC using DH485 with the PC, PLC and PV sharing a DH485 network. Reading through some of the 1747-PIC threads suggests that using Windows XP and the PIC driver might not be too stable?

The machine must have a real serial port first and foremost.
Then:
If you have a PC with Windows XP that has NOT been upgraded to SP3 then it should work. If it works, it is stable enough. Be sure to run RSLinx as an application and not a service before you try to configure the PIC driver.

If you have a PC that has been upgraded to SP3 it still can work, but if your windows XP machine was "born" with SP3 (never had SP2) it won't work...

stevendt said:
I know that I could try to get a 1747-UIC, but the PC serial option is actually better for me, the PLC is connected to a ******* Serial Hub so that I can connect to the PLC from a number of PCs wirelessly, i.e., the PC has a wireless connection to a ******* Device Master on the network. This works fine with RSLogix, RSLinx etc. so I would prefer to stick with PC Serial comms and am a bit worried about introducing the 1747-PIC if it may have problems with Windows XP.
The UIC will serve you better if you can get one.

stevendt said:
I could also reflash the PV300 to DF1 and network the PC, PLC and PV using something like a 1747-DPS1 (that I don't currently have) to allow the PLC DF1 port to be split to allow the PC and PV to connect at the same time.

Yes, that's another option I have not tried, but should work.

stevendt said:
It looks like the speed in both cases would be similar? As you say, for a "hobby" type application, speed would not be a problem, but I would like to optimise it if possible.

Your sugestion to use the higher speed of DH+ is interesting though. It seems that I could potentially leave the PC-PLC comms on DF1 using PLC Port 0 and connect the PV300 to DH+? I can not see anything that can convert DH+ to DF1/DH485 though. Can you point me toward something that could do that please?
regards
Dave
Yes, DH+ would let you leave the serial port set up for DF1 (or DH485 if you don't want to change the firmware in the PV300).

To talk DH+ from your PC, you need some hardware.

For a laptop the old PCMCIA cards are very good ( 1784-PCMK ) and will do both DH+ and DH485.

For a desktop with an open PCI slot, the 1784-PKTx cards are great. There are a couple of versions, some with two channels, some with one, and I think one of them has a DH485 port too. They're all phoenix connectors, so the "blue hose" is easy to terminate and will be a solid connection (in my opinion, better than a USB plug). You'd have to get a used one though, as they're no longer sold new.

http://www.google.com/search?source...QrQQwAw&biw=1484&bih=1002&fp=ca05a7bb65e82229

There is also the 1784-U2DHP USB to DH+ adapter that uses a USB port.

If you are looking at spending a lot of money on adapters to use DH485 or DH+, then consider a Red Lion G3, and then you can allow it to replace the PV300, and act as a bridge so that you can remotely program the 5/04. It would connect to your PC with ethernet, and to the 5/04 through the serial port, but is so flexible in programming, that you would be able to use RSLogix and a passthrough driver in the G3 to gain access for programming. This would run apx. $800 for a G306 Kadet and would get you away from DH485 and DH+ and a lot more power for your HMI.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

thanks for the reply.

My post was maybe a bit unclear, what I was looking at was leaving the PC-PLC connection "as-is" for RSLogix etc., but using the SLC 5/04 DH+ port to provide data access to the PV300 through some "magic" hardware converter (DH485/DF1 to DH+) if one was availabe - rather than talking DH+ from the PC. Is that an option? Or is the only way to have the PC talk DH+ for programming and use Port 0 for the PanelView connection?

regards
Dave

Hi Paul,

thanks for the reply.

My post was maybe a bit unclear, what I was looking at was leaving the PC-PLC connection "as-is" for RSLogix etc., but using the SLC 5/04 DH+ port to provide data access to the PV300 through some "magic" hardware converter (DH485/DF1 to DH+) if one was availabe - rather than talking DH+ from the PC. Is that an option? Or is the only way to have the PC talk DH+ for programming and use Port 0 for the PanelView connection?

regards
Dave

As far as I know, the PV300 is only going to be able to talk DH485 or DF1 over its RS232 electrical connection to the SLC.