Need Help with Powerflex 40, won't start.

dabanani

Previously, i interfaced PowerFlex 40 with SLC 505 processor via Ethenet IP. At some point i had a timeout error message. After this point, the start on PF40 became inactive even after reseting to manufacturer's default. changing direction works but it wont start.

Can you help if there is a way to resolve this issue.

Thanks

I don't have my PF40 manual to hand - but I think there is a setting on the drive like "take commands from the network" instead of the local wiring...

By resetting the drive to defaults you may have turned this off.

Just guessing while I find the manual....

I don't have a manual handy either, but I believe you will need to set P36 and P38 to 5 (start source and speed ref). You will then need to worry about accel and decel (P39 and P40). Those will probably get you started.

This is an illustration of why I argue strenuously against this network control mechanism. But that's an issue for another time.

When the "N-file" messaging mechanism is being used to control the drive, there is a timeout value, stored in data table element N42:3 that must be set to a nonzero value before the drive will accept a Start command.

Look for another MSG block in the control program that is addressed to write a value to N42:3.

My colleagues are also of course correct that parameters P36 and P38 must be set to allow the drive to take commands and reference from the network.

The problem I am having is that the integral keypad start is illuminated but it will not start the drive. I tried changing the codes as far as p36 start source 0.

Has anyone has a problem like this and how it was fixed? Its seems like the enable bit is never active.

I believe a power cycle may be required when you change control modes. Also, try looking at the displayed inputs to make sure the drive input points are indeed working.

Check the power supply on the drive. I have had quite a few built in power supply failures with PF4 and PF40 drives. Usually we measured the 24vdc at a very odd value (30 something volts or almost zero).

Thanks you for your help. I am going to check this PF40 again on Tuesday. But if I found out that internal power supply is indeed not working, is there ways i can fix it my self?

What is the horsepower rating? We consider anything under 5HP (IIRC) disposable in the PF4, PF40 lines. I haven't tried to repair any drive myself in over 10 years, we send them out only if the cost of repair is reasonably cheap compared to the cost of a new one...otherwise, they go in the dumpster.

One of my colleagues swapped the front end of a 2HP PF4 once with success, he had one with a bad IGBT and another one with a bad control power supply, so he avoided having to figure out the parameters and made two bad (disposable?) drives into one good one rather than risk the last new spare we had on the shelf...

My PF40 are 0.50HP
Not worth trying to repair in my opinion.

We don't yet know you have a bad drive though...

In my case the OEM designed it such that 7 drives had their power supplies tied together (both +24 and DC Common) so they were able to leach off each other and take each other out (they tended to die in groups of two or more). The designer also fed that 24vdc over to a 1746-OB16 card whose outputs went back to those drives for stop/start commands...

When I replaced the 2nd failed drive in two months and discovered this "design", I removed the +24vdc connections and tied the 24vdc common to the panel DC common and used the panel power supply for the start stop signals. This ended the drives' failing en masse', but one of them will still croak about once a year or so. We also are using messaging for speed control over ethernet from a SLC, but never for start and stop...it's just not a control reliable method. The messages have to be staggered and coded correctly to cope with timeouts or any MSG ERrors and recover correctly, so we never rely on that for machine or human safety, only for non deterministic speed adjustments.

You don't know how much better I feel to hear someone say that messaging for start/stop is not a control reliable method. I thought it was just my lack of experience. Probably still is, but I feel better.

Thank you guys, with your help, i found out that the internal power supply was bad. I used exaternal powersupply and everything is going well.

I have another issue with this drive. Using the external power supply, it enables the drive to be controlled by processor with Ethernet IP. It also works with P036 start source 0.
I tried to make it work with code P036 start source 2 for 2 wire source control, run forward/ run reverse -External power supply. I attached the document is attached hopefully some one can help figure out why it doesn't work.

Once again thank you for all your help.