O:T: Network Issue

The Plc Kid

I have a PC that is setup DHCP to connect to a network of 192.168.1.1 - 250 with a gateway of 192.168.1.12 and in ipconfig i have a 169.254.239.164 / 255.255.0.0 address.

The DHCP setup is configured correctly and all other systems on this same DHCP server are working fine. Just happened out of the blue and it has no network connection because the ip addy is wrong.

Anyone ever seen this or have any idea about the 169.254.239.164 address?

The DHCP request failed and the PC fell back to a "Private Autoconfigured" IP address in the 169.254.239.xxx range. That's an IP address range specifically reserved for private, nonroutable networks.

Re-initiate the DHCP request either by doing a Disable/Enable or Repair function using Windows' network management, or from the command line with IPCONFIG /RELEASE and IPCONFIG /RENEW.

As far as "out of the blue" goes; it's very likely that your PC was unplugged from the network at some point. Maybe a switch between you and the DHCP server got power cycled ?

Ken

the pc has been rebooted hard and soft a couple of times and the same issue remains. I would think a reboot would reconnect comms and ask for a new ip addy from the dhcp server but i am not sure. I will try to disable / enable.

Thanks

If your still getting the problem maybe there´s something up with the DHCP server or the route to it?
Is the PC plugged in to the DHCP server router or via a switch?
Are there any other PC´s plugged into the router, are they having the same problem?
Can you manually configure the IP address and ping the DHCP server?

Rich

If its wireless - Check Wireless Security just incase it has been entered incorrectly thus not allowing the DHCP server to grant you an ip

The DHCP Release / Renew fixed it.

I was just under the impression that when a system is rebooted / powered down then back on that the DHCP address did release and renew by itself if there was not a reservation set on that address in the DHCP server but i guess not?

The DHCP client will hold on to the address until half the lease period (often on the scale of tens of days), at which time it attempts to renew the lease with the same address. A release/renew manually forces this process.

The DHCP Release / Renew fixed it.

I was just under the impression that when a system is rebooted / powered down then back on that the DHCP address did release and renew by itself if there was not a reservation set on that address in the DHCP server but i guess not?

You shouldn't need a release/renew after a reboot after getting a "Private Autoconfigured" address. Clearly, it's not remembering the old valid lease. It's more likely a case of Windows being Windows.

Nathan

The address is holding. Getting the address from the dhcp server each time the machine reboots was my thought process.

I thought it got a new address everytime the machine rebooted but i guess not.

The machine was been powered off for about 10 days before this occured could that bge what caused it.

My knowledge of dhcp is very minimal but i am trying to learn more about it.

Thanks for your help. :)

If you do a ipconfig /all you can see when your current DHCP leased was obtained and how long it is good for.

For a process machine however, Set static IP addresses. Less hassle.
The only machines I have that are dhcp are my process laptops on wireless.

No worries. There really isn't much to DHCP. You can learn about how it works ("DORA") with a quick Google search and a little time.

The other thing to check is if your scope (address range) is full. That's one typical situation where you get an "autoassigned address" (meaning DHCP failed). It's not all that uncommon to see devices grab and not free multiple addresses over time. In that case, you delete the entries in the DHCP server, which is much simpler than it may sound.

Last edited: