Factorytalk View SE, I think..

controlled

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have done a couple of projects using Panelview plus 1000 and Factory talk view ME.

I now have a project where my customer wants to view machine status from a dedicated PC is his office. They want Allen Bradley/ Rockwell products only.

The project consists of 2 DH+ networks. (Each line has 3 PLC/5 processors. And each line is identical eg. same 3 node addresses) I plan on running 2 DH+ cables to the pc, which will have a PKTX/D card.

A third line is a micro 1100 which I will run an ethernet cable back to the pc.

The entire project will probably only have about 8 screens.

I think I need Factorytalk View SE in order do this. Is this correct? If so, can i develop the screens using ME on my laptop, and then move the file to the main pc?

Also, do I need to purchase any runtime licences, or does the software come with a single license?

Couple questions:

Will you be doing anything outside of what you'd find on a Panelview+ screen?
Are there to be any PV+ terminals involved?

Because you can use the runtime version of ME on a PC as well. You may not need to spring for the extra costs of the SE version.

AFAIK, Studio does not come w/ a runtime license for either ME or SE btw.

Couple questions:

Will you be doing anything outside of what you'd find on a Panelview+ screen?
Are there to be any PV+ terminals involved?

Because you can use the runtime version of ME on a PC as well. You may not need to spring for the extra costs of the SE version.

AFAIK, Studio does not come w/ a runtime license for either ME or SE btw.

There wont be any pv+ terminals being used. I will be loading RS logix 5 and 500 on the pc for troubleshoot, rather than going on the plant floor.

I didnt realize that ME came with a runtime version. I thought it was only used for pv+ terminals which had the runtime built into the terminal.

9701-VWMR015AENE
FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station Runtime 15 Displays — Windows XP/Windows 2000

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/performance/view/orderinginfo.html

Like I said, You already have Studio, so the only cost would be the runtime license.

HOWEVER! If you think you'll ever want to use more 'features' that SE offers on this SCADA... I would go w/ that upfront so there isn't any sticker shock if your customer changes their mind later.

9701-VWMR015AENE
FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station Runtime 15 Displays — Windows XP/Windows 2000

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/performance/view/orderinginfo.html

Like I said, You already have Studio, so the only cost would be the runtime license.

HOWEVER! If you think you'll ever want to use more 'features' that SE offers on this SCADA... I would go w/ that upfront so there isn't any sticker shock if your customer changes their mind later.

Thanks Dravik

Correct me if I am wrong.
My version of Studio (9701VWSTMENE) is node locked to my laptop harddrive. I have a few customers that have pv+ terminals which I support.

I dont think i can load my version onto another pc.

Correct, but if you buy the runtime license you get a runtime only version you can install to a customer PC.
As always, Speak w/ your local rockwell rep to get the straight deal.

Correct, but if you buy the runtime license you get a runtime only version you can install to a customer PC.
As always, Speak w/ your local rockwell rep to get the straight deal.

I think im starting to understand what you're saying.
I can use my laptop to develop the screens. And install the runtime version on the SCADA pc, and transfer the file from the laptop to the pc. Is this correct?

This software is very new to me. I have loads of experience using panelbuilder and Redlion Crimson, but not factorytalk view.

Yes exactly.

The runtime version for the PC looks identical to the PV+ screens, So if you are used to those it is pretty easy.

The project consists of 2 DH+ networks. (Each line has 3 PLC/5 processors. And each line is identical eg. same 3 node addresses) I plan on running 2 DH+ cables to the pc, which will have a PKTX/D card.

A third line is a micro 1100 which I will run an ethernet cable back to the pc.

The entire project will probably only have about 8 screens.

?

If I were doing this project,
I would seriously consider using a Control Logix Gateway to bring all the comms onto Ethernet.

A Control logix Gateway in your case would need a 4 slot rack, a power supply, an ENBT module ( for Ethernet comms ), a DH+ RIO module which can do 2 DH+ networks on one card ( at 57K comms ).

The cost would be very similar to that of a PKTX/D
The PKTX requires a PCI card slot, which now is not the dominant card slot on new PC's, ( its now PCI Express ).

A Control Logix Gateway would help future proof your installation, as all comms seem to be heading to Ethernet.

If I were doing this project,
I would seriously consider using a Control Logix Gateway to bring all the comms onto Ethernet.

A Control logix Gateway in your case would need a 4 slot rack, a power supply, an ENBT module ( for Ethernet comms ), a DH+ RIO module which can do 2 DH+ networks on one card ( at 57K comms ).

The cost would be very similar to that of a PKTX/D
The PKTX requires a PCI card slot, which now is not the dominant card slot on new PC's, ( its now PCI Express ).

A Control Logix Gateway would help future proof your installation, as all comms seem to be heading to Ethernet.
Thanks Gil, that is a great idea.
I have used the pktx/d card a my customers sister plant which has the same machine lines. Both lines are mirrored with each line using the same 3 DH+ node addresses. I was worried at first that the system would fault because of duplicate addresses, but it didnt with a pktx/d card. I assume it dodnt because the card essentially seperates the networks.
Will the dhrio card do the same thing?

the DHRIO card provides the routing to each network that is provided by a different port on its card, ( Port A and Port B )

Thanks, I like the idea.
The price for the pktx card is 2861.00, and the price for the controllogix system is 4500.00. I will give my customer both options and let them decide.

Thanks again