PowerFlex40 drive parameters with Controllogix using ethernet

iggy

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have seen how to read extra parameter's from a Powerflex40 drive using messages.
Is there any way to use an array to get lets say amps from multiple drives using one message?
It looks like to me you need one message per drive per parameter you want to grab.
I have 30 Drives and want to get amps and fault codes. I will need 60 messages all together staggered is that correct.
Any insite welcome, I have been reading through this forum and seems to me this is the only way.
L61 processor v18
PF40 Drives v6.2
22-comm-e v1.007

Hmmm, I just scanned the manuals, and I didn't see any way to alter the I/O image size in order to get more data from the drive without messaging. It seems this is possible with older drives on Devicenet, but I see no reference to doing this with Ethernet and the 22-COMM-E. Surely this is possible...maybe Ken Roach can add his expertise.

If not, since each drive will have a unique node ID, a message would be required for each drive.

EDIT:
http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38670/kw/powerflex%2040%20read%20current/r_id/113025

Last edited:
The way I like to do it is to use one message per parameter, and change the destination Node number in the MESSAGE control block.

By my recollection the 22-COMM-E module implements a "PCCC object" so you could read blocks of parameters instead of one at a time.

Remember that the internal connection between 22-COMM-E and the PowerFlex drive is Modbus RTU serial at 9600 baud. Don't expect this data to arrive fast.

I also prefer not to read Fault data unless there's a fault. No reason except to reduce the amount of time spent reading the same, unchanged data.