Ignition - Inductive Automation

captain_is

Hello guys,

I need to evaluate this SCADA platform...ignition from inductive automation...i'm sure that some of you are already familiar with this ... I need to make some testing...learn how it works ..etc..

My problem is that for now i have only RS-232/RS-485 equipments...and i cannot see anywhere on the platforms OPC-UA server support for serial drivers...

Does someone knows a solution to this? ..maybe and add-on/plugin or something...
I posted on their forum but i haven't got an answer...If someone happens to know about please reply...

Thanks in advance!

Ionut Capitanu
QM
Industrial Software Engineer.

Probably requires a serial to Ethernet gateway of some sort... depends on what serial devices you have. The Ethernet protocols Ignition supports, if I recall correctly, are the AB protocols and ModbusTCP. I think you can create your own protocol as well.

Not sure what devices you have so can not make any suggestions to manufacturers, but you will likely have many to choose from.

For testing now i have only a Twido plc from schneider with Modbus RTU...an Adam temperature daq equipment...also with Modbus RTU..

I guess there isn't another posibility to collect data from serial port..besides using a protocol converter...

I thought that maybe exists a plugin for this platform that can add functionality for serial communication...

Thanks for your reply!

You have to buy the OPC DA servers from another source than IA.
Ignition is an OPC DA client. It does not come with any specific OPC DA servers.
The OPC UA server that is included is to connect Ignition with other OPC UA servers and clients.

Search for "OPC Server Modbus RTU" and you will find plenty.

Yeap...i know...i tried with an OPC server from Kepware and it works wonderful...but i thought maybe it's another "free" posibility to make it work with a plugin or something..

Thanks for your reply...!

Hi, Nick, welcome to the Forum !

The description for the Serial Module is: "Adds platform-level serial comm support and system.serial functions to client-scoped scripts."

Can you explain in detail what that means ?

The Serial features added in recent months to Ignition seem to be oriented toward user-written scripts or interfaces with serial instruments that use unusual ASCII based protocols, rather than support for physical serial ports and Modbus RTU protocol in the OPC-UA Module.

The drivers listed for the Ignition OPC-UA Server are all still TCP-based: Allen-Bradley Ethernet, Siemens Ethernet, and Modbus/TCP.

In general, my go-to device to connect a serial-only PLC to Ignition is the Digi One IAP.

Ignition also has an "Ignition Instrument Interface Module"
"The Ignition Instrument Interface Module makes it easy to capture and process data from instruments and devices. You can capture raw textual data from instrument type devices via serial, TCP, text files, OPC devices and more."

My other suggestion would be to call Ignition with your questions about the interface. They are very helpful people.

Ignition Core Training - Indiana (Midwest US) on May 15-19, 2017

Inductive Automation is conducting a 5-day training course covering the core features of Ignition by Inductive Automation. It will be hosted at Flexware Innovation which is located near Indianapolis, Indiana. Most of the Ignition Core Classes in the US are offered in California, but for this time only we're offering it in Indy - midwest USA.

Whether you are a new user to Ignition or an existing user looking to discover the full breadth of Ignition's capabilities, this is the course for you! You will get an in-depth look at the architecture of Ignition, involving the interactions between PLCs and SQL databases. You will learn how successful projects are planned and executed from start to finish.

The course is 5 days long with class from 9 AM - 4 PM each day. The course is taught in a classroom where each attendee must supply his/her own computer. Complimentary lunch will be provided each day. The curriculum includes lecture, demonstration, and the creation of a live project that gives each student hands-on experience with all major features of Ignition. The format of the course encourages students to ask questions relevant to specific projects they have planned.

When: May 15-19, 2017
Class Hours: 9am - 4pm
Where: Flexware Innovation - 9128 Technology Lane, Fishers, iN 46038
Cost: $2500 first attendee ($2000 additional attendees)

To learn more and register:
http://www.flexwareinnovation.com/inductive-automations-ignition-core-training-fishers-indiana/
OR
https://inductiveautomation.com/training/course/details/475

Hello: I want to add my experience with Inductive Automation and Mr. Arlen Nippers(he is the co-inventor of the MQTT Protocol)

When I started evaluating Ignition, I was looking for ways to connect in Real-Time across a cellular network (so bandwidth was a BIG issue!)

As I started the evaluation process I found that Ignition could not understand the MQTT string that was embedded into my HMI MQTT publisher. So through the IA support they brought Mr. Arlen Nippers into my problem and after I explained to him the problem, he then wrote a NEW MQTT engine for Ignition(he is also the owner of "Cirrus Link" which is the MQTT engine/client that is an add-on module for Ignition) that would understand my HMI MQTT published string. And at the same time he made it so Ignition MQTT engine could understand "Kepwares IOT Gateway" because before our communication it did not work with Kepware either.

Now once he understood what my issue was he had it done in 2 days.

So what major company do you know of that will write an update to incorporate your equipment into their software as fast as that.

I think Ignition is the future and is the only way to go for me.

A very happy user.

Hello: I want to add my experience with Inductive Automation and Mr. Arlen Nippers(he is the co-inventor of the MQTT Protocol)

When I started evaluating Ignition, I was looking for ways to connect in Real-Time across a cellular network (so bandwidth was a BIG issue!)

As I started the evaluation process I found that Ignition could not understand the MQTT string that was embedded into my HMI MQTT publisher. So through the IA support they brought Mr. Arlen Nippers into my problem and after I explained to him the problem, he then wrote a NEW MQTT engine for Ignition(he is also the owner of "Cirrus Link" which is the MQTT engine/client that is an add-on module for Ignition) that would understand my HMI MQTT published string. And at the same time he made it so Ignition MQTT engine could understand "Kepwares IOT Gateway" because before our communication it did not work with Kepware either.

So what major company do you know of that will write an update to incorporate your equipment into their software as fast as that.

A very happy user.

I cant say i had this happen but any issues i have had has been dealt with quickly. I love Ignition as well.

A very happy user.

+1 Great story!

I to have made suggestions to them which they have incorporated as well. I'm the initiator of the new multi-monitor feature in v7.9. That one took a a couple of years though.

A very happy user.

can you go into detail about your mqtt setup? Ive heard alot of buzz about it but have not really heard of anyone in the industry using it. I use cellular alot and the price is really cheap. what advantage does mqtt give? I have read and listened to the talking points but what i have seen is that you have to buy an expensive edge device, move the setup of the tags from the powerful scripting options in Ignition to a relatively clunky edge device. Id really be interested in hearing more of your use case.