differences between TCP/IP and Ethernet/IP

Jay_wu

Hello, everyone.
Could you please kindly help?
What are the differences between TCP/IP and Ethernet/IP?
I have an AB's ethernet module 1756-ENBT.I can use it to connect to the converter or other devices through ethernet cable except one equipment——a barcode scanner.
The barcode scanner cann't be searched in the "RsLinx" software.
But the barcode scanner can communicate to the PC through ethernet cable.
So.. what would the problem be?
Thank you in advance!

Hello,

Ethernet/IP is a protocol that rides on top of TCP/IP. Like HTTP or FTP or other protocols that use TCP/IP as a connection and transport layer.

Which Barcode Scanner are you usung. With this information someone may be able to help you. I have used the Cognex x200 barcode scanner on ethernet with a Contrologix PLC.

Which Barcode Scanner are you usung. With this information someone may be able to help you. I have used the Cognex x200 barcode scanner on ethernet with a Contrologix PLC.

The barcode is made by Sick, type is CLV43X.
Have you ever heard of this brand and used this product before?

Last edited:
Hello,

Ethernet/IP is a protocol that rides on top of TCP/IP. Like HTTP or FTP or other protocols that use TCP/IP as a connection and transport layer.

Hello
I can use the "hyperterminal" in Windows XP system to get the data sending by the barcode scanner, that what the protocol do you think between the scanner and the PC?

According to information from Sick web site, CLV43X scanners work via serial connection, not Ethernet. Is there some kind of communication converter between the scanner and the PLC?

Sick is a well-known and highly regarded German company.

http://www.mysick.com/eCat.aspx?go=DataSheet&Cat=Gus&At=Fa&Cult=English&Category=Software&ProductID=30123

See if the above link helps...I found it by searching for software downloads using your part number...

On the right side of that page is a download button. I went ahead and downloaded the example RSLogix5000 files and the instructions. Just reading the title of the instructions, "Configuring the CMF500 EtherNet/IP Communications Interface" tells me that you need that bit of hardware to complete the interface. So, if you already have the CMF500, then the examples and instructions should get you going.

Last edited:
Thanks for the friends above help for this.
@Ladderlogic: I use the Sick's product CLV43x barcode scanner with a connectivity box CDM420 and a ethernet gateway CMF400.
@OkiePC: thank you. Finally i get the answer from Sick member that the gateway only convert RS232 to Tcp/IP protocol, not support Ethernet/IP. That is maybe why it can communicate with PC but not to AB PLC.If you want to do that, one way is as you said, use the CMF500, another way is to change the device CLV43x into CLV63x

But i confuse, the protocol of Ethernet/IP (calls common industrial protocol, "CIP" in short)is also based on the TCP/IP which is an open protocol. And i referred to some documents that say the this CIP is compatible to the TCP/IP.

So i still don't know where i am wrong.

Last edited:
Hello,

>And i referred to some documents that say the this CIP is compatible to the TCP/IP.

Ethernet/IP is a protocol. TCP/IP is a protocol.

They are two separate protocols. TCP/IP has to do with connections, order of transmission, guaranteed transmission, error checking, etc. It does not have a 'data packet'. It establishes the connections, maintains the connection and passes the data from one end to the other.

The data comes from the layer above. In this case the layer above is implemented using the Ethernet/IP protocol. The layer above could be FTP or HTTP or SMTP or SNMP or ...

Ethernet/IP (Ethernet Industrial Protocol) is just a protocol. TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol) is a lower level protocol.

Ethernet/IP uses both TCP/IP and UDP/IP. It uses explicit and implicit messaging. An I/O rack uses udp multicasting(implicit messaging) to send i/o data to subscribers. Thats the part you configure in the i/o config. Tcp/ip and udp/ip must have a source and destination IP address. Multicasting uses a specific IP address range to allow multiple listeners. When you configure a message in ladder logic, it uses TCP/IP or explicit messaging.

This technology is age old and was developed in the glory days of the cold war by bell labs along with Unix. When I say age old, I mean that as a complement as it is a very proven technology. If you want to learn more about this, I recommend researching Berkeley sockets API, Unix networking and the ethernet RFCs. It's fascinating that this stuff is decades old.

I have used UDP to write my own drivers for embedded/micro products. It's good info to have on hand.

You need to have the right protocol configured for your ethernet media.
All of them works on the same wires but to get understood they have to use the same language.

TCP/IP can be an open protocol but often refer to Modbus TCP/IP protocol (Schneider own)
Ethernet/IP is for AB own Ethernet protocol
Profinet TCP/IP is for Siemens own Ethernet protocol

All of these 3 wouldn't communicate toghether and need the right converter in between like an interpret to have a Chineese person talking Mandarin to an English person...Like some billingual peoples, some device can do more than 1 protocol but need to be configured to talk the right language...