DASABCIP and Powerflex Drives

Wormfood

Has anyone set up DASABCIP for Wonderware to pull drive information? Not sure what to set the drive up as, Control Logix, Compact Logix, or other backbone. I just want to get the drive frequency out of the drive and put store it in the historian with out having to pull it into the program. I assume I can do this with RSLinx and make a OPC topic for the drive (although I have not tried it), wondering if it can be done with the WW driver.

Has anyone set up DASABCIP for Wonderware to pull drive information? Not sure what to set the drive up as, Control Logix, Compact Logix, or other backbone. I just want to get the drive frequency out of the drive and put store it in the historian with out having to pull it into the program. I assume I can do this with RSLinx and make a OPC topic for the drive (although I have not tried it), wondering if it can be done with the WW driver.

I do not know if this can be done. However, why would you really want to? If you define a tag as an alias to the appropriate area in the Controllogix memory where the drive information is mapped to, you don't need to write any code at all.

I do not know if this can be done. However, why would you really want to? If you define a tag as an alias to the appropriate area in the Controllogix memory where the drive information is mapped to, you don't need to write any code at all.

If I had the drive information in the PLC then it's a no brainer and I wouldn't have asked the question. For argument sake say that the PLC is not a Control Logix, its a Schneider Quantum and is being controlled open loop hard wire. I still want to trend this data, to ensure that the drive is speeding up/slowing down as required. I'd have the requested analog output but not the feedback. The drive is being told to run off the inlet pressure difference the fan makes, not the speed of the fan, so the frequency back in the PLC was not needed. Now figuring out the loading of the fan when running multiple processes, I'd need the frequency of the drive, or sit there and watch it for 8 hours a day for a couple of weeks.

5 feet of CAT 5 beats buying an analog input module.

Last edited:
Which drives/comm modules?

Have you looked at the manual chapter which explains how you'd access those parameters from a SLC/PLC-5? IIRC, there are registers that can be retrieved on the network as "N" values as if you were talking to a SLC. I have not tried to access those via DDE/OPC, but it may be possible. I would configure the driver as though it were accessing a SLC and see what you get.

If I had the drive information in the PLC then it's a no brainer and I wouldn't have asked the question. For argument sake say that the PLC is not a Control Logix, its a Schneider Quantum and is being controlled open loop hard wire. I still want to trend this data, to ensure that the drive is speeding up/slowing down as required. I'd have the requested analog output but not the feedback. The drive is being told to run off the inlet pressure difference the fan makes, not the speed of the fan, so the frequency back in the PLC was not needed. Now figuring out the loading of the fan when running multiple processes, I'd need the frequency of the drive, or sit there and watch it for 8 hours a day for a couple of weeks.

5 feet of CAT 5 beats buying an analog input module.

What drives do you have - without that, nobody can really advise you anything about how it might be interfaced and what drivers are available.

One other thing - some drives can be configured to fault if they detect the motor is not within a within a certain speed tolerance of their target setpoint. If you simply want to know when a speed profile is not being adequately followed, then that may be enough to satisfy your needs.

Publication 20COMM-UM010C-EN-P has a chapter 6 about Explicit Messaging, and Appendix C that covers explicit messaging to read and write data. One section specifically explains the PCCC object which is what you may want to use if you were reading values with a SLC or PLC-5. This is the long way to grandma's house though, so if your ww driver can use CIP explicit messaging, that would probably be preferred. I have zero wonderware experience, so I can't help you there.

But, if you can't do that and want to try the PCCC object, the N files section of that appendix tells which addresses to use. The data you're looking for would be accessed by reading N41:1 and N41:2 since the drive uses DINTS for this. I believe the data would be scaled such that the minimum value returned corresponds with the Minimum Frequecy programmed in the drive, and the maximum value returned will correspond with the maximum value programmed, but I am not 100% sure of this. Anyway, the numbers you get back will need to be scaled into Hz or RPM to suit your needs.

Here is a tech note that may have some very useful info. It should apply to a PF700 the same as a PF70 in their example. They're using a scanport module accessed with RSLinx, but I would expect the set up of the DDE topic to be similar with the 20-COMM-E

Answer ID 35466

All this info I am giving you is my quick speculation, so take that for what it's worth, be very careful, and note that I have not done this before, I have only used messages from a SLC to read feedback from Powerflex drives on ethernet.

EDIT: The manual I linked above is newer than the one I was reading, so it may have updated information to help you.

Last edited: