Replacing 1794-IE4XOE2 with IF2XOF2I

anees

I have got one of my 1794-IE4XOE2 card faulty and i dont have any spare one to replace at the moment. I'm looking to remove 1794-IE4XOE2 and add 1794-IF2XOF2I online. I have found spare data space for mapping it. But i dont know how to remove the card from IO Configuration online. Can somebody help me on this scenario?

1794 is Flex I/O. what processor is it connected to, ?
and how is that connection achieved, RIO, Device Net, Ethernet. ?

If the processor is Control Logix, online change may be possible, but almost any other processor requires the change to be done off line.

First, an ASB is a RIO adapter not DH+. The PLC5 will communicate with the card
by way of "Block Transfer" instructions ( Read/Write). The PLC5 does not require
the I/O configuration to be filled in so your offline file may or may not have that.
If you can post your .RSP file ( zip it first then post it here) and tell us if you can the data registers the analog data shows up in someone will be able to track it down for you.

First, an ASB is a RIO adapter not DH+. The PLC5 will communicate with the card
by way of "Block Transfer" instructions ( Read/Write). The PLC5 does not require
the I/O configuration to be filled in so your offline file may or may not have that.
If you can post your .RSP file ( zip it first then post it here) and tell us if you can the data registers the analog data shows up in someone will be able to track it down for you.
OOPs Yes i mean RIO i was in a hurry. Since i need to change this card online so i have done following prechecks.
1) Will i be able to delete the existing card from the I/O configurations when the PLC 5 is online. ( fear is PLC 5 probably go on Fault)
2) I have already checked the DATA file and the Control Block file(in BTW and BTR inst) the same files can be used for the new card i am replacing.
3) To give you a history we are out of stock of the existing faulty card on site so to continue our process on the site we got to replace this card with the other card which has less inputs.We got to replace the new card online as PLC 5 has other remote I/O associated with it.

Again the I/O configuration if its there is documentation only. So you can delete it if you want. It does nothing to the PLC itself.
You cannot change I/O modules with power still on in a PLC5 system.

Some of the newer 1794 modules do allow RUIP (removal and insertion under power). Whether this causes a rack fault in the PLC-5 depends on how the adapter is configured and how the PLC-5 is programmed.

Even so, it is definitely best to at least power down the 1794 backplane before removing or inserting any card. Don't try to do this "live" unless you can confirm that the cards your swapping support RIUP and the adapter and PLC-5 will tolerate this.

I was under the impression that RIUP was available on all the ASB's and on Series B it was not optional. Series B has no switch and is local fault only. Series C,D, and E allowed you to decide if you wanted to declare a rack fault or not.
"Module removal and insertion under power (RIUP) will cause a rack fault when Rack Fault Select is enabled." S2-6 off - series C-E. PLC5 or SLC500 shouldn't matter. The PLC doesn't know what the module is, all it knows is that its an I/O group thats part of a rack. I was gonna say that AB wouldn't say you could do a hot swap if they weren't certain, but looking at all the revisions for their software/firmware, that wouldn't hold true. The wiring for the TB may be different for that module.

http://samplecode.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1794-um009_-en-p.pdf ASB

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1794-in015_-en-p.pdf 1794-IE4XOE2

http://samplecode.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1794-in039_-en-p.pdf 1794-IF2XOF2I

I'm a little hesitant too, but at $4 apiece for IB16 and OV16 what the heck. Running under load and pulling them, then reinserting doesn't seem to phase them. I even tried swapping them in the bases. Blonde moment on that as the IB16 wiring ended up applying 24v+ to the sink side of the OV16. Immediate dead silence. No smoke or sparks though which is usually a good sign. The blissful silence was broken by my wife. Why do you need my laptop? Yours is faster than mine. (It makes her feel better about not having the newer laptop, actually she never turns hers off so it was faster for me.)
When the wood furnace is running full throttle and it's 2 deg F outside, this probably Definately wasn't a good time for this. It trashed the config for the 1747-SN on the 5/04 and faulted everything. After about 20 minutes of thinking I just fried $20 worth of hardware, I figured it out. For whatever reason it cleared the G file and after setting that back I was off and running again.
These little buggers appear to be pretty hardy. The only thing it affected was the G file. My PayPal account was not harmed.
I suppose for this type of fault, once the error is corrected, one could have the bits moved into the G file by the program and not have to go offline to do a download???
Next thought is can you edit a G file online? Guess I'll know in the morning when I get home.

I suppose for this type of fault, once the error is corrected, one could have the bits moved into the G file by the program and not have to go offline to do a download???
Next thought is can you edit a G file online? Guess I'll know in the morning when I get home.

TODSTER
No you can't edit the G file online but that G file data is normally stored in an Integer file that gets copied <COP> to the module by a conditioned rung that operates only on first pass S:?/?.

If you figure out what that value needs to be and enter it in the Integer word, or words, then build a branch around the first pass bit, then toggle it on then off, then it is possible to do it online, but if you can go offline and download is the safer option.

EDIT
Just had a further read of your post and see the G file referred to a 1747 SN so I may be wrong, what I referred to I know works for an IFE module, G file, to Integer file etc.

Last edited: