Powerflex 70 Copycat Usage

jamesau

Lifetime Supporting Member
Some guidance here would be appreciated.

I'm commissioning a system that has several drives installed and configured. One of the motors/drives needs to be uprated to match an existing one. The new unconfigured drive has been installed and I'd like to have it configured to match the existing one. The manuals refer to the copycat feature and this reads like the easy way to go.

I'm a little stuck on the procedure for using copycat. Do I do a HIM Copycat (device -> HIM) on the existing drive, take the cover/HIM off that and place it on the new one and do a HIM Copy (HIM -> device) on the new one? Is there more to it than that? The manuals/knowledgebase aren't clear to me on the procedure.

(I didn't specify or configure the drives; those that did are gone and I'm kinda new to these).

Thanks in advance for your help

It has been a couple of years since I did it last but I do think you are correct and it was that easy.

Hope this helps.

Yes, that's the basic procedure.

It's not a perfect process; if your drives are very different (like PowerFlex 700 Series A versus Series B, or PowerFlex 70 versus 70EC) then the HIM Copycat won't work. There was also a bug in version 4.003 of the PowerFlex 700 Series B firmware that made Copycat not work correctly.

But for basic PowerFlex 70 -> PowerFlex 70 copying, it's generally pretty simple. You copy the active User Set of parameters into the HIM Set, then move the device and copy the HIM Set into the active User Set.

Remember that the configuration of a communications module like the 20-COMM-D or 20-COMM-E is independent of the parameter set of the drive. You can use the Copycat for that, too, but you need to specify that you're copying the DPI module parameters, not the drive parameters. I prefer to do the communication module configuration by hand.