Factory Talk Communications Problems

twitte

Hi, I am new to Allen Bradley and would like to see if anyone can help me with the following issue.

I am having trouble communicating with my PLC (micro-1100 rev B) through factory talk studio software. The first time I set up the communications (using a serial DF1) it works ok, but when I try to connect again after closing the application, I can't get online with the PLC and says "failed to get names from OPC server" Has anyone else had an isue with this? I am using the RS link enterprise.

Thank You

Welcome to the Forum !

The usual set of questions are going to apply here when you're asking a software-related question:

What version of FactoryTalk View Studio are you using ?
What version of RSLinx Enterprise is installed ?
What firmware version of MicroLogix 1100 are you using ?
Are you using a built-in serial port or a USB/RS232 converter ?
What operating system edition and service pack are you running ?

It's not that there are specific version conflicts that will cause this error, it's that basic information like that is necessary to be sure we're all on the same page with the tools and techniques we're going to use to troubleshoot.

I found two good hits in the RA Knowledgebase using they key phrase "Failed to get names from OPC Server";

Answer ID # 55818 RSLinx Enterprise was not configured with a valid shortcut

Answer ID # 49199 Windows files used by navigation window have been unregistered.

Describe precisely what you mean by "it works OK" and what you mean by "can't get online with the PLC" in each condition. My guess is that you mean you can browse the MicroLogix data tables with the tag browser while assigning a direct reference connection, but I can't be certain.

When you say "after I close the application" do you mean you close the FactoryTalk View project, or that you close FactoryTalk View Studio ?

You described a sequence of events where a process worked once, then not the second time. Is there something you do that makes the process work again, or is it "permanently broken" ?

Hi,

I am using FT view studio 5.1, RS linx classic lite 2.55, Micro 1100 rev B, rev d, frn 9.0.

I am using a USB to serial converter and have Vista SP2.

I was able to connect to my PLC and see tag names previously, but today I am not able to, everything else is the same. You are right in that I am describing a sequence that worked once but not again, and I can't figure out what is different.

Thank You

Oh boy, Windows Vista. FactoryTalk View has enough wrinkles on good old XP that I don't relish using it under Vista.

Understand that RSLinx Classic Lite is a driver package that provides services to RSLogix 500 and other programs. It's configured using its own GUI and shows up as a little "chain link" icon in the Windows Taskbar.

RSLinx Enterprise is a 'data pump' for FactoryTalk View. It is configured only from within FactoryTalk View Studio and has Shortcuts (which are almost identical to OPC Topics) and is configured with a click-and-add or auto-browse mechanism.

It can be tricky to use both RSLinx Enterprise and RSLinx Classic with serial devices; it's quite possible for them to contend for the same COMx port. I always prefer to talk to MicroLogix 1100 controllers using Ethernet from my PC.

Go back into RSLinx Enterprise, right-click and delete the MicroLogix controller from the Design/Local configuration. Then re-browse the DF1 serial driver and see if you note any flashing LEDs on the USB/RS232 converter or on the Ch0 serial port indicator on the MicroLogix controller. This will let you know if RSLinx Enterprise is even attempting to talk to the controller.

Thanks for the help. I read on another post that you can manually assign tag names for the ML1100, providing you have the correct syntax. This is the only reason I need to connect to the PLC w/ factory talk, I believe.

I'll let you know how I make out.