HMI Help :(

Oceansoul

Hi, i have a small problem with a disinfection HMI.
HMI (Versaview 1700P) is on ControlNet (PCIC(S) Card) along with
2 Dual Redundant Racks, each with 1756 - L55 Logix Processor, and CNBR card.
2 I/O Racks, each with CNBR card and numerous I/O cards
2 ControlNet to DeviceNet bridges.
All this is viewable from the Versaview RSLinx.
Error messages in RSView32 when starting the project are;
"OPC Error (RSLinx Server|Ashford_East) Server: This item no longer available."
"Couldn't add network DDE share (RTData700 Ashford_East). Cant bind to DSDM service."

The OPC topic is configured in RSLinx and RSView32, and is called Ashford_East in both.
RSView32 is licenced, and current version.
RSLinx is Professional and licenced and current.

This HMI is a replacement for one that stopped working. We couldnt get the settings out of
the old one, but this is a best guesstimate, based on a similier setup on the west side of
this site. So it has been working before. The PCIC card is the same one, it was removed
from the old HMI and put into this one. The old HMI suffered HDD.

Ive been on the phone to Rockwell all morning, and we STILL havent solved it. Anyone have any ideas?? :oops:
Many Thanks.

Those actually sound like separate errors.

The Network DDE Share" error really does indicate there's a problem with NetDDE, which is not necessary for ordinary OPC functions. Do you have a VB or other Microsoft DDE component connected to this RSView32 system ? If not, just un-check the "OPC/DDE Server" box in project startup.

I'm taking that from RA Knowledgebase ID# 27324.

The "item not found" error is probably an OPC Topic definition problem or a true communication problem where RSLinx really can't communicate with the Primary controller.

Use the OPC Test Client to be certain you can browse tags in the primary ControlLogix CPU; that will verify that the RSLinx OPC topic and the PCIC card are working correctly so you can focus on RSView32.

In RSLinx Classic, open up the Communication Events log and see if there are a large number of errors, or just a few. Maybe export and post that log here and send it to RA Tech Support.

Those actually sound like separate errors.

The Network DDE Share" error really does indicate there's a problem with NetDDE, which is not necessary for ordinary OPC functions. Do you have a VB or other Microsoft DDE component connected to this RSView32 system ? If not, just un-check the "OPC/DDE Server" box in project startup.
I dont think we have any VB or anything here. The guy from rockwell asked me to look at something in the startup config, but the HMI only has RSView32 Runtime edition, so i dont even have access to Startup. The project was loaded from a recent back up from the old HMI, so if that didnt have anything like this, then there shouldnt be anything in there.

I'm taking that from RA Knowledgebase ID# 27324.

The "item not found" error is probably an OPC Topic definition problem or a true communication problem where RSLinx really can't communicate with the Primary controller.

Use the OPC Test Client to be certain you can browse tags in the primary ControlLogix CPU; that will verify that the RSLinx OPC topic and the PCIC card are working correctly so you can focus on RSView32.

Thats what the Rockwell guy said. I ran the OPC test function and didnt get anywhere. But all does appear to be configured correctly, and the most upto date. I believe the PCIC card is working as i can see everything on the network via the control net (i even went in RSWho on my laptop, with a serial cable, and drilled down, and managed to see everything on the controlnet including the PCIC card).

In RSLinx Classic, open up the Communication Events log and see if there are a large number of errors, or just a few. Maybe export and post that log here and send it to RA Tech Support.

There a lots in there, all of them say something along the lines of (cant quite remember now im at home), "PCIC\2.1.1.0\[tagname]" does not exisist.
I'll post up the Log files tomorrow when i get back to work.

I ran the OPC test function and didnt get anywhere.

Wait, explain that. Were you able to browse tags online using the OPC Test Client, or not ?

Last edited:
Wait, explain that. Were you able to browse tags online using the OPC Test Client, or not ?

I loaded up the test client, pressed "new" gave name etc. Then he told me to add a new group. I did this. Then add a new Item (im trying to remember what i did here so i might be slightly mistaken the terms or order). At the bottom left of the add item i selected the topic i have made in Linx and View32, then pressed the add item. Nothing happened. I did get an error message, (cant remember exactly) "The item can not be added to this item". The RA guy was expecting to see some info appear in the right hand side of the Test Client window.

Update: I got the opc test client to work, reading and displaying values from the plc. So I know the opc service is working as it should. Still getting the same errors however :( even the guys at rockwell are stumped.