Experienced Programmer Salary - Informal Survey

fredbear

Hey for the folks who've been around the block a couple of times, what are you worth? Say 30 - 35 years of experience of field programming PLCs RTUs HMIs SCADA Hosts, etc.

Depends on position, skills and responsibility and not directly proportional to number of years of experience. I know many 5 year exp are earning much more than me ( 15 year exp )

At my last employer, in 2007... I was a guy with a BS in mech. engineering technology. The company was 4 years old (spin-off of an existing company) that sold turn-key conveyor systems (mechanical, installation, controls, homegrown HMI...).

As a project lead EE- they billed my time at $77/hr. Ie- if the sales nuts quoted that the job would take 100 EE hours, that portion of the project cost $7700. That EE time would include, scope review, design meetings, CAD and drawings, panel BOM, travel and start up support. Programming was quoted separately and was billed at a few $/hr more.

If I were in business for myself, I'd have to charge more/hr than that, but I think that its a good place to start for the value of a controls guy in America.

i'm one of those fossils north of 50. Guys our age should be retired, working as a hobby or have their own business. I'm the third choice.

Guys with us 10 years make a base of $65K and with OT and expenses some make close to $100K.

Good

In developing country like my Brazel , India, china PLC Job is increasing expotionely with passing each year. So as Salary.
In next 5 to 10 years Automation engineer will get as much same salary as IT(Information Tech) or Computer software engineer of good company get. :cry:

Geez - I am a long way north of 50 - add 19. I work for myself and have some pretty significant overheads - insurance - workers compensation - on it goes. The latest computers and laptops (speed - saves time - makes money) - really fast line laser printer - for documentation - A1 plotter - keep going.
I will not work for less than $100 per hour and $125 if I can get it.

Geez - I am a long way north of 50 - add 19. I work for myself and have some pretty significant overheads - insurance - workers compensation - on it goes. The latest computers and laptops (speed - saves time - makes money) - really fast line laser printer - for documentation - A1 plotter - keep going.
I will not work for less than $100 per hour and $125 if I can get it.

Thats a pretty competitive rate bob. We charge $110/hr for the engineers and $95 for the special class electricians like me. Of course i dont get that but $38.50 + penalty rates + new fully maintained double cab ute + laptop + 9% compulsory superannuation is pretty good. Be good to know what the guys in the states get?

Please bear in mind I do not have 25 highly paid managers to support. I get more than that onsite - that is just in the office. Onsite I normally charge minimum $150 per hour plus expenses - accomodation, car hire, air fares, expenses (including a good bottle of red a night), valet air port parking are all extra. If I drive there it is also charged at minimum $100 per hour - get to put a good Kate Bush, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Iron Maiden, Queen, The Who, great jazz, Nirvana or Alana CD in the CD player as well. Rock my way into Canberra with all guns blazing.

Yr living the dream mate.

I frequently used an old school guy for our ac/dc drive and corona treaterment generator repairs on breakdowns at my previous employer, hes north of 150/hr but he ALWAYS got it going. (unless it was completely buggered.)

... actually i know of 3 other plus 60's gentleman in the 150 club. They all have large bellies and like to talk. Hey, i like to listen...

Large belly - yes - like to talk yes (generally load of you know what) - LOVE really big Oz shiraz - YES! YES! YES!
Grumpy old **** - yes - all 3 apply.
Have even designed and commissioned automated power stations - not many have gone there!