RSView 32 Works "Cannot communicate with application"

heatedcr

I had to reinstall Works 5k (7.2) on this system (windows XP) Ever since I have been unable to work on my project. The only functions I can use are the Graphics editors. Everything else is pretty much broken. For example if I try the Tag Database it gives me the following error:

Cannot communicate with application.
Please re-install RSView.

I have tried re-installing many times but it doesn't seem to help. I would really appreciate the help since this is for work and I need to get it done.
Thanks in advance, Heated.

brokenrsview.jpg

Can you restore the PC to a date before you started having the issues?

The are a few things that will stay on the PC even if you remove it and re-install it.... also is this the same application/project? try making a small project and see if it happens with it, it may just be that project that you are trying to run and its just giving an error to reload the complete software when its only the application

I just tried to make a another test application and it gives me the same error. I don't really want to do a restore if I don't have to but I'll try that if there's nothing else to try.

I haven't used RSView, but I do have it on my laptop at work. Each of my machines has it's own PC. Each PC has RSLogix5000. One PC had a bad hard drive and was replaced, thus all software had to be reloaded. I couldn't get communications to work after reloading, but after pulling my hair out I found that the OPC had to be set up before the PLC would communicate with our HMI. It's been a while since I found this, and haven't used it since, but check your software for something like OPC server setup or something like that. Sorry if I'm too vague, but a couple of years have passed since I had this issue. I believe it was through the RSLinx software, but maybe you have the option. I'll try my RSView program tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Give the info below a try just in case cache files are in conflict with your project.

A repair I do if any issue crops up, is to shut down the project, then in windows explorer, go into the project folder, open the cache folder, and blow away all files in that cache folder, they will be rebuilt on the next start up.

The next thing I do is go to the projects Tag folder, and look for one file with "the project name".cac
I THEN BLOW THAT ONE ONLY AWAY, leaving all the other files in that folder, this .cac file also will be rebuilt on project start up.

Then shut down computer and reboot and run your project.

I cant promise this will fix your problem, but it wont harm it either.

Thanks you guys for all the suggestions. I really do appreciate the help and the quick responses. I'm actually going to work right now to pick up the laptop so that I can work on it at home. I really hope this works otherwise I'm going to have a lot of angry people on my back. :unsure:I'll let you guys know as soon as I make any progress.
Thanks again, Mark.