ASi

grantg

I am adding a device to our network of discretes. I did address the device. it comms through trunk and drops. we have 3 devices on one drop box. do I address the point on the drop box, too? same as device/slave address #? How do I map the I/O in control logix 5000? current I/O bits look like ASi_Net2_Input.Data[0].11, etc. How do these #'s coincide with the ASi network, trunk and slave #'s? Any help is appreciated.

For us to help you will need to tell us what modules are between the cpu and the field device.

Without that info I can only suggest you look at the existing I/O table and see what bits flip for the current I/O devices.

Get the manufactures user manual and give that a read. Most likely they will also have an example program or two that will give you the basics of how they specify I/O.

The drop box is typically just a splinter and has no address associated with it.

bihl*Wiedemann AS Interface Master module in Control Logix 5000 rack. Two network/modules in the rack. Downstream in an AC1216 AS-I power supply going to an AC2215 AS-I repeater to an AC1218 power supply the to the Stonel FBP08007 drop connector box. Three devices connected to the box. Just want to know how to ID and program a newly added device (discrete) to my I/O PLC programming and how to get the new slave ID's for the AS-I module in the PLC rack. I know what slave/address to use to address the device itself.

Check out manual
http://www.ifm.com/Images/Files/ASI_Tools/ControlLogixBPManual.pdf
Page 11 shows how byte swapped mapping works (ASi looks like it comes from Siemens)This will show you how slave number etc relates to mapped IO Tag ASi_Net2_Input.Data in your program
I have a spreadsheet set up so slave adresses show up in order, but I/O adresses are byte swapped
Page 79 shows how to get new slaves into configuration
I hope this helps

The Stonel (http://www.stonel.com/FieldLink/IAS/105056revA.pdf)looks to be just a junction/terminal box, so addressing is not relevant to it.

The IFM AC1216 & AC1218 are just supplying power to the AS-i network. The IFM AC2215 is just a repeater, no addressing for it.

As mentioned by others, the bits in the I/O words are not linear, they are swapped, at least for the IFM interface. And there is more than one bit per device.

Most likely you will not have add any I/O address as the array ASi_Net2_Input.Data should have been made large enough to cover the maximum number of devices that can be connected.

You should know the AS-i addresses of the existing devices and looking at the program & tag array, see where they are. So you can find out the # of bits/words between them that are used for PLC I/O. And then go from there for your new device, since you know what AS-i address you're doing for it.