HMI Software which one to choose

yanos25

Hi, I'm looking to change our HMI with a PC with software so we can have a more open environnent.

In our standard product I need to communicate with at least 2 drivers. (modbus, Omron FINS) but because we are doing custom machine I need to be able to communicate with any kind of PLC and like Allen Bradley, Siemens, CanOpen, DeviceNer...

I've checked, Intouch, InteractX, IX Developer, Indusoft.

I really have a hard time to justify the prices of the runtime of those software. I need something like 1000tags.

My question is, do you guys know softwares like those one that are cheaper?
Do you have experience with them?
What kind of price do I need to expect?

Thanks a lot!
Yan

We often use a PC based HMI (Iconics) but based on what you have said, I'm wondering if you have tried using the Redlion G315 (15 inch touchscreen display). It is very configurable, has lots of drivers, is relatively easy to configure, stores data on a CF card, and has a webserver for remote viewing. I think you will find it is a good alternative.

I will take a look at PeakHMI Thanks,

JHarbin. We're already using G306A for our machine but we're looking to chage it for a PC so we can install PLC software, Web cam, Headset and give remote assistance to our customer.

check out ignition by inductive automation. the pricing is very reasonable and its made to talk to any opc server.

Ignition looks good. But it doesn't seems to support Omron natively.

Does somebody know if a free OPC server exist? Or a cheap one?

Thanks

I will try to be more prescise in my needs...

You see, I'm a noob in software HMI. I need a software solution to mainly communicate with Omron and Modbus. But in rare cases, AlenBradley, Siemens... I need it to be cheap because I'm building 40 to 50 machines per years. They will have pretty much all the same interface. I don't want to pay 2000$ only for licenses on each machines.

Ignition looks good. I need to contact them to see the pricing for OEM.

If I undertstand:
-I need a license for ignition
-I need a license for en opc server
-I need a license for each drivers I will use...
Am I right?

I want to go with the PC solution, what's the best software solution?
I have the ressources if I need to go VB, C++, C# route...

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
you could buy the kepware suite and have access to a bunch of different opc servers. check out kepware.

You could look at Citect - it comes standard with just about every driver you could think of. A 1000 tag licence isn't that expensive

I have the resources if I need to go VB, C++, C# route...

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again!
Depending on amount of VB, C#, etc. resources you have, the HMI can be developed once and then your run times are free of charge. There will be a considerable amount of time developing drivers unless you have someone with plenty of experience. I've developed multiple drivers for PLCs and it takes me about 3 days of work to get the first testing version and several weeks to test,debug, and refine to a usable version.

You can see an example of a VB HMI project by Googling AdvancedHMI (all one word). The next major release of that software is due out in about 4 weeks. A Siemens S7-200 and ControlLogix driver will be part of it, but nothing for Omron yet.

Thanks everyone...

You gave me good information and ideas.
I need to read on and evaluate all this.

For now, my best bet is to use VB to develop the interface and use an opc server like Matrikon or Kepware. Meanwhile we can develop our own drivers and after months (or years), it can become a standalone solution with integrated drivers... But this is a very long shot.

Another great idea from one of my partner is to hire an "intern" (not sure if it's the good word) just to start the development. (doing the layouts, buttons, opc bridge...)

Thanks again!

Any other ideas or thoughts are welcome!

I will try to be more prescise in my needs...

You see, I'm a noob in software HMI. I need a software solution to mainly communicate with Omron and Modbus. But in rare cases, AlenBradley, Siemens... I need it to be cheap because I'm building 40 to 50 machines per years. They will have pretty much all the same interface. I don't want to pay 2000$ only for licenses on each machines.

Ignition looks good. I need to contact them to see the pricing for OEM.

If I undertstand:
-I need a license for ignition
-I need a license for en opc server
-I need a license for each drivers I will use...
Am I right?

I have the ressources if I need to go VB, C++, C# route...

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again!

Yanos:

For Ignition you would require the Vision package and a license for the kepware/matrikon driver you would use. The opc server cost is rolled into the driver package. For example, for Kepware, the omron driver package runs ~800 retail.
Ignition does provide an OPC-UA driver for the Logix series of Rockwell processors via ethernet. I'm not sure what other UA drivers they are working on at the moment.
Ignition works well, We use it all over the plant here.

Regarding a custom VB-esk solution. Archie mentioned the advantages.
The disadvantages I've found(Having had to step in a replace a few) lay in poor support if the process folks don't know the language well. 10 years down the road you can also run into issues modifying the system if it hasn't been kept current along w/ the programming environment.(Which can be a problem w/ all software of course)
Things to keep in mind.

- Mike