Problem with INT on a SLC5/03 and PV

mmarinr

Hi guys!

PLC SLC5/03
PV 550 2711-K5A2 ser H frn 4.46

So here is the problem...

I'm trying to set a recipe manager screen on my PV.

I used the Increment/Decrement Entry option for scrolling between the recipes.

I asigned an INT to the tag, so that the PLC would recognize the number and load the data for each recipe.

The problem is the PLC is not recognizing the numbers. Foe example, I assigned N26:10 as my INT and the same for the tag.

I scroll up on the PV, let's say to 5, but the PLC will keep showing a value of 0 for N26:10.

To make it easier for the operator, I set the limits of my INT from 1 to 60, with an initial value of 1 for N26:10. But once again, the PLC will keep showing a 0.

Pics for the tag on PanelBuilder and a screenshot of the online PLC

Somebody knows if I'm doing anything wrong? Please let me know!

1.PNG 2.PNG

With some objects, you must press enter before the write tag is written. Are you using a standard control list selector? If so, uncheck "Write on Enter", or require the user to press the enter key.

Without seeing the actual code, it will be difficult to spot the problem. Some questions:
1) Does the PLC recognize other changes from the HMI?
If not: communications problem
If so:
2) Is the integer written somewhere within the PLC code?
3) Is the PV set to write and display the same tag? It's possible to set it up so they're different.

If you can, post the source code for PV and PLC. That may make it easier to troubleshoot.

@Okie: I'm using a Numeric Entry/Inc-Dec, which allows you to scroll numbers using the up and down keys.

@widelto: Nothing is forcing a 0.

@josehp: Everything else works fine, the problem is just with this int. So no comm probs! :S
And N26:10 is not written anywhere else, just checked that.

Now it just got more strange. When I move to 1 in the scroll, the PLC does recognize it. But when going to 2 or more... Back to 0.

Last edited:
In the PB32 program, find the tag in the tag database and select the whole row, then right click and select "Used By" just to make sure that tag isn't used elsewhere in the PB32 program (like a status or control tag for example).

Can you zip and post the .pba and .rss files?

Looks like every time the recipe value is changed, REC_GR1_OK and LOAD_CHSN_REC go high and then the recipe data gets copied from N21:0 (the value of INDEX_REC1) to N26:0 through N26:19 (including your tag at N26:10). Since N21:10=0, N26:10 is zeroed.

The PB32 program looks fine, but you might want to pick a tag for the recipe selector that is outside of those COP instructions.

Last edited:
File 5, Rung 23, but there are others too.

Here's what I did to find it. Starting with the address in question "N26:10", I opened data file N26, and click the Usage button. I see all 20 addresses are used. When I see that, I know that a file type of instruction might be in use, so I right clicked on N26:0 and clicked "Find All" and found all the COP instructions with a length of 20.

Your tag being used by your recipe selector (N26:10) is being overwritten by all of those COP instructions, one of which goes true as soon as you change recipes, but others appear to be related to file saving and loading.

Last edited:
If it were mine, I would clean up the recipe index calculation a bit and simplify some of that ladder code. You should be able to calculate the file and word to begin the COP, and have just one COP (with two indirect words, for both the file number and the element number within that file) for each operation (2) instead of one for each group (10) like you have now.

Actually, it would be much cleaner if you had a data table for each recipe and they all started with element 0, but I don't know how many recipes you have in total, and how big of a reconstruction you're up for.

I would also expand those data tables, expecially the ones that are likely to need modifications in the future, and try to limit the number of different files being accessed by the PV550 over DH485.

Last edited: