Ethernet Communication Problem

chadrip65

My computer can see the LOGIX processor and the Panelview 1000. The IP for Processor is 10.10.10.3 and Panelview is 10.10.10.2 with my laptop being 10.10.10.1. The problem lies in I cannot see the Backplane of the Panelview. I have the Backplane of the LOGIX showing in Linx but and the Panelview does show up in RSLinx, but the Backplane does not. Due to this i am having issues with the PV talking to controller. Any help is appreciated. Thank You.

RS Linx is V 2.43.01.23. I had this error a few weeks back and miracally fixed it by changing one IP address. When I select my PV in Linx and goto the Properties should the referencing IP, the IP the PV is looking at, be the IP of my computer or controller? TY

I will show exactly what I am showing.

AB_ETHIP-1, Ethernet

10.10.10.2, Panelview, 2711-T10C20
10.10.10.3, 1756-ENBT/A
Backplane
1756-L61 LOGIX5561

The PV does have a backplane, it shows some sort of color slots when you expand the backplane. I have no expand button (+) beside the PV address like i do for the processor. Any help would be appreciated.

I do have 10.10.10.1 as my laptop as well.

Well, that's news to me. I don't remember any kind of Backplane showing on RSLinx but I don't have one handy to check out.

Why do you even need it? The only time a "backplane" is available is for other card/com slots. The part # you provided is a Panelview Standard 1000 (Ethernet with RS232 printer port). There's no *backplane* on this.

I am just having trouble with my LOGIX talking to PV. I get IP Error: 10.10.10.3 (which is processor), PATH:10, TAG: B3 (bit format PV reads). Any help would be necessary. I do have DHCP print port disabled for Uploading purposes.

Give us more information;

- what's the com setup you used on PV for the processor?

- how is everything connected? Why do you need the print port disabled when you can download through ethernet?

Everything is hooked up via Eth hub. Rslinx recognizes both PV and processor on laptop. I D/L program to processor, debug and troubleshoot program and everything works GREAT. B3 is the bit tag that Panelview will read (example B3 for bits N7 for integers). I use B3.0-64 (BOOL), and yes they are created tags in Logix. I download new PV program to PV, program downloads correctly and display works. All my read bits in PV error out though and IP address error comes up with IP address, Path, Bit, Length.

PanelView Standard terminals are configured using PanelBuilder32, which has a Node Definition feature that you're going to need to post about (or just post the *.PBA file).

The PanelView's IP address seen in RSLinx Classic is its own address. There's no configuration of a path or a shortcut done in RSLinx Classic.

If you've done the Shortcut definition in RSLinx Enterprise/FactoryTalk View Studio, I can see where you might confuse the two mechanisms. The RSLinx Classic browse looks similar to the RSLinx Enterprise browse, but it's not used to define communications for a PanelView Standard.

Another thing about addressing; while the ControlLogix supports BOOL[x] arrays that can be very long, I'm not sure if the PanelView Standard can address all the elements of a BOOL array. Make a test application that's only reading words out of an INT[x] array to be sure that you have the basic communications setup correct before testing a large BOOL[x] array.

The PanelView Standard preceded the ControlLogix by quite a few years and the feature co-ordination between the two platforms has been a little complicated. It would help to know which version of PanelBuilder32 you are using, and which firmware revision you have in your PanelView 1000 terminal.

Okay, you're trying to communicate DH485 to a Controllogix PLC and all your tags are real input and output addresses with SLC/PLC-5 type addresses. I don't think it's possible to map Logix controller tags to "I" and "O" file types for the Panelview standard to read.

The part number in the .pba file is:
2711-T10C3 PV1000 Color Touch, FRN 4.10-4.xx

When I opened the file you posted it shows the terminal to be a 2711-T10C3, with DH-485 protocol.

Did you post the incorrect file, or are you really using DH485, not Ethernet ?

Edit: Simulpost. Maybe he was trying to do this on another terminal with DH485 to a 1756-DH485 module ? I agree that you should never try to read or write actual I/O tables with an HMI... some older comms drivers would even refuse to address them.

Last edited: