S7 strange OB1 monitoring problem....?

uptown47

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've got a strange problem with regards to monitoring OB1 in S7 using v5.4 sp4.

Firstly, there are no problems monitoring any other block in the software. When I go to 'monitor' the networks show power (in red) as per normal.

However, in OB1, the 'glasses' icon is greyed out. I click on a network, the icon is still greyed out. I save OB1 and the icon is still greyed out. OB1 offline is exactly the same as 'online'. The only way I can get the monitor icon to work is by performing a 'check and update accesses' in the File menu.
When I then click the glasses to monitor online the window says that it is online but none of the networks show any power (ie they don't turn red).

The block consists of about 8 networks all consisting of unconditional 'calls' to FCs.

The strange thing is this...

If I then add a network to the end of the block of just a random marker setting another random marker then this will appear in red when monitored (as you would expect). Clicking on one of the other networks will then show the power on that network too but only that network and none of the ones below it ?!?!?!

Example....

NW 6, 7, 8 all consist of unconditional calls.
I then add NW 9 (just a random line of ladder code).
NetWork 9 will then monitor correctly. If I click NW6 you would expect Networks 6 through to 9 inclusive to monitor but only NW6 and 9 monitor.

This is the same whether I view the networks in STL / LAD or FBD ?!?!

I've tried saving the whole project to a new project and also tried deleting OB1 and copying one over from a backup project. Still the same problem remains...

Anyone got any ideas??

I can only assume this is a software bug but it's such a weird problem I thought I'd share it in case someone has seen it before.

Thank you for any light you can shed on this.

;-)

never seen this
1. Make 'checks blok consistency'
2. 'Save as' you project wiht reorganization
I've tried saving the whole project to a new project and also tried deleting OB1 and copying one over from a backup project. Still the same problem remains...
;-)
copy OB1 from online

never seen this
1. Make 'checks blok consistency'
2. 'Save as' you project wiht reorganization
copy OB1 from online

Thanks for the idea MM... will give it a go when I get back to work on Monday.

Post a cut down project with the problem in it.

I'm not at work until Monday now LD but will sort it then and maybe put a couple of screenshots up as well.

Cheers ;-)

Yes, it's a bug in the editor. If there are only UCs in the block then the editor will not monitor.

One fix is to use the block call method unless you need the UC

ucuc.jpg