1747-UIC Cable Requirement

I'm on my way to pick up a 1747-UIC converter. I have a question or two that I hope you guys can help me with. I ask here rather than at the counter because I don't want to appear stupid or cheap in person.

The manual I downloaded seems to indicate that the 1747-UIC will need a "1747-13" cable to connect to the SLC500 fixed controller (what I'm learning on) as well as the /01/02 and /03 modules we use at work.
That "cable" is listed on AB's website as "SPECIALTY MODULE TO ISOLATED LINK COUPLER CABLE " and sells for $58!

I thought I was going to be able to get away with a piece of CAT5 networking cable. Any chance of that happening? Or do I just bite the bullet and buy the cable?

Thank you for your time and help;

Frank

PS: I know I'm lucky to be able to buy this thing at all.

The 1747-C13 has high-quality connectors and shielded cable, but sheesh !

There's nothing magic about that cable; it's a straight-through RJ-45 cable pinned out thusly:

P1 COLOR FUNCTION P2
1 RED CH. B TX/RC 1 TOP
2 BLACK CH. A TX/RC 2
3 BROWN +24 VDC 3 **
4 WHITE SIGNAL GND 4
5 BLUE TX-EN 5
6 DRAIN EARTH GND 6 **
7 GREEN SIGNAL GND 7
8 ORANGE +24 VDC 8 BOTTOM

** pins 3 and 6 are not connected on the 1747-C13 but are on the -C10, C11, C20.

The other DH485 cables have a hard-to-find AMP connector on them and you usually have to buy them from A-B, but I'd say for your UIC go ahead and make up a good CAT5 cable on your own. Use the best connectors you can.... about 80% of the old DH485 cables around my shop have the latches broken off !

Last edited:
Thank you !!!

That is what I was hoping to hear. Thank you for responding. I talked to an AB technician and he was candid and helpful but did not have the info you provided.

He had a picture of the cable arrangements for connecting the 1747-UIC and he confirmed that it looked like a simple cable but could not say for sure what it was.

They did not have the 1747-C13 in stock anyway.

Thanks again for the help;
Frank

1747-UIC uses regular RJ45 on UIC side - it is not a special connector like PIC. So regular patch cable will work.

BTW, how much UIC (list)?

I should have said that I was talking to a "Rumsey Electric" representitive and not an Allen Bradley technician. I just had Allen Bradley on my mind.

I paid $202 and was happy.

Frank

I got quote $202.02 OEM price for 1747-UIC, local factory stock, 3 days delivery. I may get one to try.

Also I'll talk to plccables.com next week, they told me they will have USB to SLC for around $60 after Dec-15. Too bad it will not have opticall isolation...