RSLogix 5 and 500

Yes - in a roundabout way.

If you can save the RS5 file as mnemonics, you can cut and paste them into RS500. You will very likely have many errors - syntax and addressing, but you should see the ladder structure well enough.

That assumes that he has RSLogix5 in the first place. But if he had that then he probably wouldn't be trying to open the file in Logix500.

The problem is, I have RSLogix 5 on a desktop and RSLogix 500 on my laptop and I can't get approval for another license for either.

The problem is, I have RSLogix 5 on a desktop and RSLogix 500 on my laptop and I can't get approval for another license for either.

If you have a Master Disk for your PLC Software, then you can install the Software on the other PC, and activate it with the Master Disk in the Floppy.

Since Floppy Drives are getting rare now, AB has created a utility to move the Activation to a USB Drive (evmovecf). Then you can carry that to the PC you are using at the time. The Program will be slower to open, because it will have to look through all the drives. This can be sped up by putting the Checkdrives Parameter in the Rocksoft.ini in the Windows Directory.

Another option if the PCs are Networked, you can Map the C Drive on the other PC, and activate the PLC Software across the Network. Obviously, the Software can only be open on one PC at a time. It is my understanding that you are still in compliance with the License by using these methods.

If you are using Factory Talk Activation, I am not familiar with the ins and out of it, so perhaps someone else can help you with it.

Stu.....

Last edited:
FactoryTalk Activation can use a removable USB dongle to store the license. Whichever machine has the dongle has the license. You can put both licenses on the same dongle or use separate dongles for each license.

OG

FactoryTalk Activation can use a removable USB dongle to store the license. Whichever machine has the dongle has the license. You can put both licenses on the same dongle or use separate dongles for each license.

OG

The older, (much preferred IMHO) RSI licensing with the master disk can also be moved to a USB stick. You just need to download the "EVMOVECF.EXE" program from Rockwell, then transfer licenses to a memory stick.