Micrologix 1100 ethernet problem

danileru

I am running Rslinx lite 2.54.00 (the free version) to connect to an Allen-Bradley Micrologix 1100 via the ethernet channel 1. I set the ip then look in Rswho and it comes up as Unrecognized device even though it's got the right ip and the right name. The controller is 1763 BWA series B. I am Not sure if the free version supports the 1100.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Be sure the IP is set in the controller, from the I/O status screen press ESC, go to advanced set, go to enet config and make sure the IP is set.

Welcome to the Forum !

Yes, RSLinx Lite 2.54 supports the MicroLogix 1100 over both serial and Ethernet connections.

The driver you are using is important, and so is the state of the icon you see when you browse the network.

If you are using the "EtherNet/IP" driver, the MicroLogix 1100 shows up in the browse because it has responded to a broadcast packet, so you're sure that the basic TCP/IP and Ethernet connectivity is OK.

If you are using the "Ethernet Devices" driver, click Autobrowse and watch the icon for at least 10 seconds. If you get a red "X" over the yellow "?" then you have a timeout that indicates basic TCP/IP and Ethernet connecitivity is broken. If you continue to see only a yellow question mark, then you probably just have an Electronic Data Sheet problem.

Verify basic TCP/IP and Ethernet connectivity using the "RSWho" browse as described above. I also like to use "PING" from the command line, and try to get the controller to show its built-in web page using a browser.

To download and register an Electronic Data Sheet (EDS) file, you need to know the firmware version of the MicroLogix 1100 controller. The sticker on the side, or the embedded web page, or RSWho (right-click and select Properties) should all tell you.

The main EDS server for Rockwell Automation is on the Internet:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/resources/eds/

Select EtherNet/IP as the network and 1763 as the Bulletin/Catalog number, and the EDS files for MicroLogix 1100 controllers will come up as results. You should just see a version 1.1 and a version 2.4.

Download those files and register them with Windows and RSLinx by using the RSLinx Hardware Installation Tool. Launch it from Start -> Program Files -> Rockwell Software -> RSLinx -> Tools and select the individual files or a subdirectory of files (never, ever select the /RSCOMMON directory itself).

You often need to restart RSLinx or reboot Windows to get EDS files to be recognized.

It would surprise me if RSLinx 2.54 didn't have the 1.x and 2.x EDS files for the MicroLogix 1100 installed by default, but it is possible to install RSLinx without any EDS files, or for all the EDS files to get unregistered by careless use of the Hardware Installation Tool. I don't know the history of your PC or software system so I can't guess.

Let us know how it works out !

1763 eds file for ethernet/IP -- Help .....

thought I'd found the answer reading above
but when I search for 1763 on eds files I get no files

I select Network: Ethernet/IP
Device type: Programable Logic controller
Bulletin/Cataolgue no. : 1763

and then search and get no files .......
Tried adding major rev F
Same result

found eds file

the eds file for 1100 is halfway down the list - as a comms device, but 1100 in next column
why do rockwell not want it found as under 1763 ????

I have had problems using the website search for the right eds files.

Some of them are in different categories, and many of my partial part numbers which should have matched didn't.

The first time this happened a few months ago, I found a link inside an offline copy of the manual for the drive that took me to the right category results list and then I picked it.

The 2nd time a few days ago, I used the EDS Utility to search for the eds based on its coded filename and it found it and downloaded it for me (PowerFlex700 EC firmware).

I am not sure if this process is applicable to your controller.

What is the whole part number?

Paul