siemens s7 eprom

DeHulk

situation: crane with a S7 CPU 315 , power is shut down very often
I want to install an eprom cause the batteries may fail one day !
But i have some question about eprom
1) can you save the program directly to the eprom sitting in the PLC or do you need to put it first in the PG ?
2) If ik make changes in the program will these changes be saved on the eprom too?
3) in the S7 you have the option save to memory card ..is this the eprom?
thnx !

You dont need a eeprom if you have and old 300cpu you can use a flashmemory card as loadmemory. If its a new one the cpu most use a mmc card. Use download user program to store the executable program as load memory. And save to memory card if you want to store the complete project on the memory.

Hello,

1) Yes, you can program the eprom when it is sitting in the PLC, the plc must be in STOP!
2) No, you have to rewrite the program to eprom if you make changes to your program. If you go online with the Simatic manager, you can see how every block is saved in the cpu, RAM or EPROM. (Column = Load memory)
3) No, this is not the eprom. The eprom function is Copy RAM to ROM... in the PLC menu from the Simatic manager

But there is also a function to check the Battery Capacity (OB81). Why don't you use this one, may i ask?

Your S7-300 must be one of the older ones without MMC card. This because your PLC has a battery, and the new ones don't.

The PLC...Copy RAM to ROM function only works with the new MMC cards.

You should use the PLC...Download user program to memory card function. This will write the program to the memory card (EPROM) in the S7 CPU when you are online.
Alternatively, you can use the File...S7 Memory card...open etc. to write the program to the card while it is in the PG.

some differences in the answers..mmmh
the CPU is a 315-2p
when i was searching a catalogue fo a suitable eprom i noticed they talked about S5 -eprom but S7 -Reprom ?
Do the memory cards worl like compactflash cards us for digital fotografy or still need to use UV-light to erase versions ?

Dehulk,

he didnt say it was a 315-2DP (or -2PtP), he said it was a 315 with a battery. So it has to be of the old generation.

Anyhow, the Siemens "Micro Memory Card" (MMC) is exactly the same as a comercially available "MultiMedia Card" (MMC). Only difference is that it is formatted in a propriatery way.

The Siemens "memory Card" (MC) is a flash card (not the same as an EPROM, but the term "EPROM" is used loosely). It can be written to while in the CPU. No UV eraser needed.

The answers are related to S7-315-2DP / 315-2AF03-0AB0 / V1.2.0 And I think also some other versions.

Dehulk,

I am sorry if I have assumed something wrong.

There is both an old and a new S7 315-2DP (and -2PtP).

The old uses a MC card and a battery (which I think you have). With this one you can only use the Download user program to memory card function or the write to the memory card in the PG.

The new uses a MMC card and no battery. With this one you can use the Copy RAM to ROM function as well.

Last edited:
i got a memory card but when i insert in in the field-
pg and try to do something it says "no flash area in memory card"

card = GES7 951-1ak00-0aa0

I'm sorry but it seems like you bought an ordinary ram card. Inserting this in the plc is simular to putting in extra ram memory in your standard pc. It can be used when you are runnning short of loadmemory but still have work memory in the cpu available. You need a flashmemory card like 6ES7951-1KK00-0AA0. Check how much load memory you are using today and then buy a flashcard with more capacity.

talking about a long project ...
No internet to search for information at work :-(
Igot those ram module cause i wrote the number from another PLC thinking it was a memory card
Now i finally got the right numbers how do i know how much ram i 'll need ?
I used "save as .." tool to HD. Its 2,2 MB but is this a good reflection of how much memeory i need ?

No thats not the right approach. You mean save as as in saving the complete project with symbolics and all. This can also be done if you want to have your entire project close to machine but it wont help you with your power down problem. What you want to do is replace the load memory witch is the memory where the plc keep's the compressed and compiled plc code. This is much less than 2 meg. Right click the cpu in the s7 manager and choose module information and click the memory tab. Do a compress first and then you can see how much memory you are using today and then buy a bigger memory. Or check the amount of total load memory and buy a simular or bigger memory in this way you wont have any expansion problems later.

another little problem

I moved the blocks to the memory card using a PG
But when i insert the memorycar in the slot the plc mode goes to stop (flashing)
when i clear the plc ...insert the memory card..doownload the block ..it works fine..even after shutting down power the memory card does what it has to do
when i remove the card same story ..flashing in stop mode

Why does the PLC goes to stop ? if i do it this way i have a problem when the program get changed ...the PLC will have to go to stop each time i have to make a change on the Memory card.
thanx !

You cannot remove or insert the MC while the CPU is running.
If you write the entire program to the MC while online, then the CPU will also be stopped.

I think that there is no way to update the MC without stopping the CPU.