RS View

drummo

Ive had a problem this week in one of our plants, the plant is running with an AB plc and Rs view scada system, I needed the address for a push button on the scada screen, so i could search it in the plc software but couldnt find it, I went into edit on the rs view clicked on the button but could not locate the tag address, How do you find the addresses for buttons etc. Ive never programmed scada only ever hmi E panels etc

Is it RSView32?

If so, go to the keyboard and press CTRL+ALP+P, P, if i remember correctly.

That will bring up the run edit dialog where you can switch to edit mode from run mode. I think this requires that a RSView32 Works license exists or can be validated from that PC. It is also possible to lock out that key combination. The Windows Start key can be enabled or disabled as well, but on a touchscreen system, we leave it available, and keep the keyboard in the panel for engineer access only.

Once you get into edit mode, I like to turn on the grid as a reminder, and then you should be able to double click your way into any object on the screen. Take note of the mouse pointer symbol. IIRC, in their editor, you have to make sure you have the arrow mouse pointer at times before you can drill into objects.

Once inside the object properties, there may be multiple tabs and some may have check marks on them for different actions and behaviors, like animation, color and visibility. The contents of those checked tabs is usually a tag, or an expression containing tags which you can browse to, or alternately, open the tag database folder on the left of the run/program mode panes.

Drilling into the part of a object that has the action is usually the hardest part when you have multiple layers.
look on your RS View 32 disk for a program called documentor. It lets you look at a screen and tells you what you have going on in a screen. Very handy when reversing a screen someone else did.

Which Version of RSview32 are you using? It does make a difference, as they improved the User Interface in the later versions.

Stu...

RSView32 Button objects take an action when you press, hold, or release them.

These actions are defined on the second tab of the property window, as a Press action, a Repeat action, or a Release action.

You'll see an Expression in one or more of the fields on that window. Usually that expression is setting a Tag equal to a value or to another tag. Sometimes it's doing math, or triggering a macro. It can do a lot of things.

Follow the tag names back to the Tag Database and you'll be able to look up which PLC and which data table address are being acted upon by the Button.

By version we mean 3.x , probably 3.2 to 3.7

You will help yourself alot if you give us more information to work with.
we are not into extracting teeth

My guesses at what you mean are below.

The object that you know or think is the button that has the button control , highlight it then right click on it, and on top item drill down till you find a button, but in each step check animation for a touch action.

You could go to View and use the peek to see tags used on that screen and by selecting a tag or action from the list it may show you where the tag is or its name

Thank you guys, for your help i will have a go when i go back to work. I agree Gil47 its not extracting teeth, but when you have only had a one day course on Rs view about ten years ago and never looked at it since, and the pressure on because the plant is down it actually feels like extracting teeth. Once again Thankyou!